Error ratio on stage

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
herrmutt
Error ratio on stage

Post by herrmutt » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:46 pm

Hello

Usually we have a very cool error level, using rane preamps or just digital gain and eq. It's just work as expected.

But sometimes the error level become high.

Yesterday we take 3 hours of sound chek trying different preamp, playing with ground ect. and we didn't figure out how to fix.it so we had to cancel a part of the show.
This happen not often and yesterday I forgot thinking about recording the time code for a at home analys... Next time I will do that.

What could be involved into this?
The computer power supply ( a tower not a laptop). ?
The turntable power supply? I don't try without dc power on the turntable.
The preamp ( yesterday we try few)?
Electromagnetic field or bad karma ?
Needles? We try few and they was ok for next Dj using SL in the same electrical condition.

So as didn't record the corrupted/noisy signal, it could be hard to say. But is anybody experience a so high level of error? What could I do ?

I have to say that I use the maxforlive version ( different mod of this for each song ) but I post it to the general discussion cause I expect the error unrelated to the digital part of the system.
herrmutt

Post by herrmutt » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Ok by browsing the forum, I found that a ac filter or a power Filtering + batery could do the job.

Anybody recommend something ?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:18 pm

One other thing that could cause high error metric when playing live is the loud volume levels. So when you set up live, also make sure your decks are appropriately isolated from any strong vibrations coming from bass cabinets or other speakers.
herrmutt

Post by herrmutt » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:01 pm

Thank you for your feedback

During the sound chek we try with no volume at all and it dosent fix the error.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:08 pm

OK then it must be some kind of noise which is getting introduced into the signal path. Lack of proper ground generating hum? Try playing normal music vinyl through the software using "audio thru" and see if it sounds distorted or noisy.
herrmutt

Post by herrmutt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Yes actualy after 3 h of testing we use the last available hour to set something with regular records. And they just sound as expected.

We try different tricks using direct box or not, cutting the ground from the computer ( desktop pc for ultra low latency) or connecting the turntable ground to the rane to the computer ect ect...

Looking for a decent ups, but any other ideas are welcome. We want to keep ms pinky in the live setup. But if this happen again we have to keep it only for domestic purpose.
herrmutt

Post by herrmutt » Sun May 19, 2013 1:18 pm

anybody here could recomand a very good ups?

i would find one where the batery is always "online" not one that switch from filtered ac to generated ac when needed.

so i would find one with that kind of flow : ac to dc to batery to ac.

i would use is to power the computer the turntable (1) and the rane mixer.
any recomandation for a reliable ups will be apreciated a lot.

i really want to re integrate ms pinky in our setup.
Pamal

Post by Pamal » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:50 am

I got some trouble with my old system : like little jumps which could be fatal on rythmic thing..

the problem was first solved by better "online" alimentation, and a better soundcard also.
The first solution helped a lot, and the second clean everything for me.
Mine was already good (audiofire 12 echo) but sometimes it could be a little glitch (very short) (not only with Max/msp) ....
No problem at all with rme ucx (but also really expensive)

but I got one question :
can the software prevent this incoming "power supply glitch" from soundcard, and do a little interpolation to soft the audio out?

+
pamal