!!!NEW FEATURE PROPOSITION!!! pitch enhancement

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
VideoScratch
!!!NEW FEATURE PROPOSITION!!! pitch enhancement

Post by VideoScratch » Thu May 26, 2005 7:22 am

i'm working hard on turntablism and mixing as well. i wanna submit a new feature idea that will take both of Ms Pinky's uses to the next level.

first, let's remind some facts (correct me if i'm wrong) :

- an octave is twelve semi-tones, it's also an 100% increase/decrease of the frenquency between two octaves.

exemple :

C2 > 220Hz

C3 > 440Hz

C4 > 880Hz

- the gap between each semitone is an average increase of 100/12=8.33333%

- you con only do 6 notes with a standard technics turntable:

-8 > 0 > +8 at 33rpm and 45rpm.

My Proposition :

Is it possible to set a multiplicator to the real pitch (the one on the TT), so the played file will be "super pitched".

for exemple from a turntablist point of vue, if i wanna have a semi-tone increase every 1% of increase on my turntable's pitch, i have to multiplicate the pitch variations by 8.333333%.

A less extreme application could be to be able to pitch records from -50% to +50% (or +100% / -100%) with a standard sl1200's sets. (no need to buy a TTX)

Do everybody understand what i mean ?

What do you think of it ?
...happyness is a warm slipmate...
A Kern

Post by A Kern » Thu May 26, 2005 8:10 am

If I remember correctly , the gap between two semitones is an increase of 6%.

Anyway, if you use Max/Msp, just multiply MPTC~ position and velocity output by some number (just use the same number for both), before feeding them into MPFS~.
VideoScratch

Post by VideoScratch » Thu May 26, 2005 8:35 am

thanks for your answer

you're right about 6%, my school years seem so far !!! it's a really stupid error i've done.

i'm not using Max/msp, is it easy to use in a club/performance environement ? it seems to be a really complicated software...

i really wonder if it's so easy to do, why not implement that fonction directly into the maxi patch AV ?

i think a lot of future customers that could be interested by Ms pinky software for sound/video turntablism may not be computer geeks...
A Kern

Post by A Kern » Thu May 26, 2005 10:55 am

Well, I think Max/Msp is great, as you can code whatever you want without writing actual code. Still, it demands some(a lot) time to get it to do what you want.

Concerning use in a club, you build your patch at home and create a UI that's usable in a club. But, I think you can't create really great UI's in max/msp.

Therefore I'm creating my own interface in Java and do the audio processing in Max/msp. It's basicly working really great, but there is a problem with CPU usage, which is the reason why I can't release it to the publc. As My application is essentially divided into two different applications, a java ui and the max patch, an both can be pretty demanding to the CPU, I get distortion in the audio when extensivly using the UI (when quering databases and stuff)

This sucks, as I spend about 6 months on it and can't use it until I get amulticore or a HT enabled CPU (which could work too, as it also executes two threads(applicatins) at the same time). Still, I believe in this combination, as it gives you can create a top notch UI in java, and still use the power of max/msp, e. g. I created an option to autofit the bpm of two songs, which works the same as I described above, get the speed of both songs playing, calculate a muliplicator, and use this to multiply velocity and psition. Works pretty well. Have a look here: http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=159

Anyway, if I get past the distored sound problem one day, I'll release the application

Cheers

Achim
VideoScratch

Post by VideoScratch » Thu May 26, 2005 12:30 pm

ok. cool...

max msp looks like something exiting anyway !!!

to conclude :

> for people who have no time/money to spent buying & learning how to use max/msp

> !!! Please Mr pinkstah !!!

tell us if it's possible to implement this pitch multiplicator fonction in maxi patch AV (none of the concurent software have this fonction for the moment).

P.S:

i also think of a third use of this fonction (pitch multiplicator) :

- usefull for the mix, no need to have TTX to pitch a track up to 100 or 200%

- usefull for turntablism: using a continuous sound, you can play a whole octave or more with your turntable, that definitely makes it an instrument !

- to increase your scratch movement
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

but what about the position information (absolute mode)?

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun May 29, 2005 8:51 pm

I certainly see the intrigue of being able to do this. The only problem is that in absolute mode scratching, the position information will become useless if there is this multiplicator on the velocity signal. This is because position is the integral of velocity over time. But if you're changing the scaling of the pitch with time then this integral relationship no longer holds true. But I guess if you want to only use this technique in relative mode scratching, then it could work, and could be quite interesting of course.

So OK, I'm working right now on a new version of Maxi-Patch and I will certainly try to put this pitch multiplicator in there... if I forget you can always remind me :lol:
Mista Gingah

Post by Mista Gingah » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:20 am

VideoScratch! that is an awesome idea!!! i was planning on buying a PDX2000 just to get the pitch range for doing a similar thing, but this wood save me ££££!!

Has anyone seen the Vestax Melody Turntable (plans)??? It looks ace! with buttons for the different notes and footpedal to control pitch! I soo want one!
SKRATCH IT!
robroy

adding features

Post by robroy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:29 am

Any chance that along with considering adding Pinky Pitch, we could have the turntable numbers bolded when selected to help us not stop a kickass dj set performance by opening a song on the wrong tt?

For the record, I love the new options for changing the look of MsP and how it saves settings.

If you think adding the bolding to the selected TT is gonna be difficult and not worth the time, then I'll understand and will save up some bread to get MaxMSP, learn me some programming and make it happen...

But just thought I'd see what you thought.

Rob Roy
VideoScratch

Post by VideoScratch » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:43 pm

another reason why the pinky pitch fonction would be great:

it can also be really usefull for video scratching, because it needs a wider range of speed than sound to produce an effect.

for example: scratch a train video. if you do a 33>45 speed increase with your turntable it doesn't really affect the video's speed. if your 33>45 can be a 0>700% increase, that would really create a stuning effect !!!