Bug report: Video slow down !!!!

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
VideoScratch
Bug report: Video slow down !!!!

Post by VideoScratch » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:18 pm

i use video loops to scratch. they are done to fit the sound i'm scratching. 10 to 20 Mb converted from the original *.avi* file (done w/ final cut or premiere) with quicktime pro 6.5.2 in *.mov*.

after a while (30 sec) scratching the video loss its smooveness (seems like a 1 frame per second video !).

we tried this on to computers:

- laptop P4 2.8Ghz, SIS motherboard, 512 ram, N-vidia Gforce4 488Go

- desktop P4 3.0Ghz, asus P5 GDC-V Deluxe motherboard, 1 Go ram, with 915G intel chipset for the video out.

soundcard: MOTU 828 Mk2

preamps: monacor SPR 6

needles: shure mk44-7 brand new

Win XP home edition

with any quality of video we can have....

still bugging !!!

i don't understand

Please help, i'm desperate !!!!!
...happyness is a warm slipmate...
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

What version of Maxi-Patch?

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:08 pm

What version of Maxi-Patch are you using when this happens?

I recently posted a new version (3.5.2) on the downloads page that is based on new versions of Max and Jitter so it should have fixed some problems.

DLP
VideoScratch

Post by VideoScratch » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:04 am

i haven't notice the new realease...

i'm gonna try it today & tell you what's going on...

thanks for answering so quickly !!!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Video Output Settings

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:02 pm

Also try different settings under "Video Output and Recording" from the "Ms Pinky & Me" pulldown menu.

Specifically, you should try turning "no hardware acceleration" on vs. off to see what's best on your system. For some systems, it works best with "no hardware acceleration" ON, and with others it works best OFF.

Furthermore, I would also recommend that you turn "Overdrive" OFF (under the edit menu).
VideoScratch

Post by VideoScratch » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:10 pm

dear pinkstah,

we've methodically try all what we can... and the result is:

the audio always runs fine... no trouble at all even if the video is "jerky"

when the video is running ok, it's really prescise and accurate (no latency)

if the video is really big (like an 720*540 uncompressed) maxi patch become buggish really fast.

If we use a small video, we have to do really hardcore turntablist scratchs to get the video to bug.

by "bug" i mean: it's only the smoovness that's gone, all the other parameters are fine. when we look at the "#frm" indicator, it's like the video being red every 5 or 6 or 7 frames.

I wonder if it can't be something with the computer's videocard ?
VideoScratch

Post by VideoScratch » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:53 am

hello pinkstah,

i still got problem with running maxi patch properly on my PC's.

on my laptop, i suppose it's a matter of HD speed (mine si only 4200rpm)

on the desktop (see my older post), i re-install Win XP SP1, do all the updates (for SP1), put quicktime pro 7.0 and get the latest version of maxi patch.

the problem i have now is a really big slippage at the start of the files.

(note i've tried my setup with · brand new I-mac G5 with 1 gig RAM and it works perfectly even without my MOTU soundcard/directly in the built in soundcard)

My question is :

Is ms Pinky better working under SP2 ?

do you have any new informations to help me ?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

I can't reproduce this problem

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:01 pm

VideoScratch-

I haven't been able to reproduce the bug you're talking about. I'm testing on a HP Pavilion laptop, 2.0 GHz, 512 MBytes RAM, WinXP SP2, Maxi-Patch_AV 3.5.6, Sound card = U46DJ. The video playback remains smooth even when scratching for a long time.

I have a couple of ideas:

1) If you're not running WinXP SP2, I would definitely recommend an upgrade to SP2.

2) Try disconnecting any USB hubs or other devices that are non-essential to running Ms Pinky. Just leave your MOTU 828.

3) Disable any wireless network cards on your machine. I've found that on my machine if I don't disable the wireless network (under Network Connections), there will be periodic glitches in the output of Maxi-Patch.

I hope this helps. I don't know what else to recommend because Maxi-Patch_AV 3.5.6 is really working great on my HP laptop, anyway.

-DLP
Jesus

having same problem

Post by Jesus » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:28 am

I'm using an Apple G4 1.6 ghz Powerbook with the FS2 interface.....the system plays fina for a while but , as I do scratching and and the mixing, the frame rate starts to slow down.....the other poblem we got is that sometimes when we start fresh it's all good sometimes, same conditions it's not so good...and last thing is that when we use a projector for second display the video slows down cosiderably, why's that?
VideoScratch

Post by VideoScratch » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:26 am

hi.

i tried on a two G4 powerbook (1 year old) a 17" and a 15". both with 1Go ram. we experience only a little kind of latency : when we were scratching fast, the response wasn't excactly acurate (sound was ok) but it remains smooth.

On the PC, i call it a "bug" because it drops suddently from 25 frame/sec to 5 !!! is it what you're experiencing ?

what i can tell is that it's running fine on a brand new i-mac G5 with 1Go ram !!!! if you got 1500$ to spent...

P.S: pinkstah, i'll upgrade to SP2 then tell you what's going on...

thanks 4 support !!!
VideoScratch

Post by VideoScratch » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:27 am

Pinkstah,

is it XP Home or Pro that you're using ?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Home Edition

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:06 am

I'm using WinXP Home Edition, SP2.

Does this bug happen (framerate suddenly drops from 25 to 5 fps) regardless of whether or not you're connected to a projector?

Can you tell me -- at the time the problem occurs

1) what are all the peripheral devices that are connected to your computer?

2) What are all the settings you've made in the "Video Output and Recording" window in Maxi-Patch?

3) What are all the other applications running on your computer with Maxi-Patch?

4) Are you connected to any networks (especially wireless)?

5) What are the pixel dimensions of the QT movies you're mixing?

6) What mix mode are you using (xfade, chroma, alpha, math...)?

7) In the QT players, is "zoom/rotate" and/or "bri_con_sat" buttons set on?

In general, please tell me absolutely every setting you're made and anything else you think I should try to be able to see this bug happen on my machine.

peace, out-

DLP
Jesus

Post by Jesus » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:21 am

we are using a g4 1.5 ghz powerbook with 1.5 gigs of ram

final scratch 2 as the digital interface via firewire

a USB berringer midi foot controller to control the cross fader function using a Edirol USB to MIDI interface (cable)

we tried playing the clips from both the internal hard drive and an external hard drive (connected via firewire 800) but, it didn't seem to make a difference.

X floating output window

X filesystem menu bar

X double - buffering

no hardware acceleration

X linear interpolation

XDim -320 YDim-240

Using photoJpeg QT movies and MP3 audio (also 320 x 240)

*note - we stretched the video on the projected screen to fit the size of the screen - but it slowed down regardless of this stretching

we were using:

sync to audio file

absolute mode

gen3 vinyl

loop off

wrap - fold

error metric -1

snap on

vinyl control on

midi enabled (controller 7 - channel 1 )

signal power threshold minus 8

cutoff sharpness +1.05

no other applications running other than maxi patch

no networks connected (airport may have been on - will be sure to have off from now on)

mixmode = xfade

zoom/rotate and bri_con_sat buttons are off

EQ - off

we tried to use the batch waveform process, but it would only seem to analyze the two songs loaded into maxi-patch, and then it would get stuck.

is it necessary to analyze the audio tracks in order for them to play properly?

is there any way to analyze the video?

when we first started., it seemed to play fine, but the more we scratched, the slower it got. we went from somewhat near full frames (29.97) down to between 5-10 frames per second. the audio played fine.

we connected to the projector using the s-video out of the powerbook (we used the s-video to rca cable that comes with the powerbook)

using the "second montior/display" mode, we dragged the floating maxi patch window to the projector, using it like a secondary display for the powerbook.

as soon as we connected to the projector, we noticed a drop in frame rate, (from 29.97 to somewhere between 15-20 frames) which would have been acceptable, but once we started to scratch, it went down to somewhere between 5-10 frames per second.

we should note, however, that the crowd didn't seem to care, they were just so excited to watch someone use this stuff. it would be great to get it working at full speed!

ms pinky's RULES!

thanks for the help.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Check the new build dated 11/19/05

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:04 am

Jesus-

Thanks much for the very thorough and complete report!!! This definitely helps. I've just uploaded a new build (b2) of Maxi-Patch 3.5.6 for OSX and WinXP that should result in noticeably higher final output video framerates.

Please have a go with it and let me know if you see any improvement. Thanks for your patience!

cheers-

DLP
Jesus

Still Slowing down!!!

Post by Jesus » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:46 pm

Man, the first time we used the new update we were all excited b/c since the programs was running so good, everything was cool but we hadn't plugged in our MIDI controller (foot pedal) which we use to mix the video channels..anyway next time we came back to try again with the foot pedal for some reason slowed down on us and we were getting a bunch of error. @ the end we tried unplugging our final scratch 2 interface and the quality improved, almost perfect , we plugged it back it and it was still fine running one turntable , as soon as we started the second turtable it all went down the drain...we don't really know what to do now, b/c sometimes it works perfectly !!!????

anyway this are some of the errors we are getting

JITTER 1.5.2 INSTALLED

-ERROR: JIT.GL.SHADER: UNABLE TO FIND CG FRAMEWORK.

COIL: NO FILE BATCHFOLDERS

-ERROR:FPIC:AUDIO_SETTINGS.JPG ERROR -47 OPENING FILE

COIL:NO FILE SOUNDFOLDERS

COIL:NO FILE QTFOLDERS

COIL:FINISHED, 1 LINES

COIL:FINISHED, 1 LINES
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Two things

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:59 am

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with this. Since Maxi-Patch is almost entirely based on Max/MSP/Jitter (which is made by cycling74.com, not by Ms Pinky), Ms Pinky is completely at the mercy of the Cycling-'74 programmers. They apparently don't believe that we really have a problem here with video playback. I keep reporting these problems to them, but they don't do anything to fix it. So for now we just have to find a way to make it work.

Anyway- two more questions:

1) Which version of OSX are you using? Hopefully 10.4.3 (or higher). If you're still using Panther (10.3.X) then you should upgrade to Tiger immediately.

2) What are your "Energy Saver" System control settings? Specifically, under the "Options" tab you will see a menu where you can select "Processor Performance". Make sure "Processor Performance" is set to "Highest". If it's set to "Automatic" that could explain why sometimes your framerates are high and other times they slow down.

I will keep trying to make this work better by creating more efficient Max/MSP/Jitter patches, but there is only so much I can do because the real performance is determined by the programmers at Cycling-'74. :cry: