IWS VST plugin

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
TequilaKez
IWS VST plugin

Post by TequilaKez » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:37 am

I read in this interview with Scott Wardlethat there will be a VST version of ms pinky in the future.

Since the code for demodulating and decoding the position information is written in C++, it's generic enough to be ported to almost any operating system, and any software system as well that accepts plugins.. like VST. For example I have wrapped the MsPinky code as a VST plugin, which runs on both Mac & PC (to be released soon...). Unfortunately most VST hosts don't give you much flexibility to connect the output of a VST plugin to just anything. They always assume that a VST plugin is just some kind of audio FX processor. But the VST plugin version of MsPinky will allow you to play audio files under the control of the turntable (nothing new, of course..).

Any news on when this will be available. At the moment there is so much you can't do with Pinky in a Live environment and in a recording environment and this would fix all my problems in one.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Touchª, baby!

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:52 am

Touchª, baby! :lol: I can see I'm up against the wall on this issue :wink: But I just have to ask you a couple questions:

1) What OS are you running? I ask because if you're using OSX it's a simple matter to re-route the audio output from Ms Pinky into another program's audio input (for example Ableton Live, Logic, etc.) using the marvelous and FREE virtual CoreAudio Device Driver called "Soundflower" from Cycling '74. Just go to http://www.cycling74.com/ and download it for free. Now if you're using BinkyToy, you can just choose Soundflower as your output device, and then choose the audio device that is connected to your turntables as the input device. Soundflower should just pipe the Ms Pinky output straight into the other program's input. This would sort of make a VST version of Ms Pinky somewhat uneccessary.

2) Do you make heavy use of your crossfader (like for scratching)? If so, then you're going to have to run the audio out from Ms Pinky to your DJ mixer anyway before it gets used by another program. To get the final scratch-articulated audio back into your computer for use inside another program you'll need to route back into two input channels on another device anyway. My point is that having a VST version of Ms Pinky may not in fact solve the problem of getting the desired output signal from a Ms Pinky mix into another program. Why not? Because of the crossfader problem. In order to capture the effect of the crossfader the signal has to leave the computer and go into your DJ mixer. If you want to use the final product of that processing, you have to bring the outputs of your DJ mixer back into the computer on two other channels anyway. So you're going offboard with Ms Pinky anyway, and just bringing the signal back into two other channels of your target program, then it really doesn't matter if Ms Pinky is running standalone or as a VST plugin anyway, does it? I'm just wondering... is the VST version really necessary? Can you describe exactly why you would need it....
wazzlez

Post by wazzlez » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:16 pm

True, there really isn't a need for a VST plugin version. How much latency do you normally get running option number 2 pinkstah?
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:15 pm

It would be nice if some clever people were to come up with a solution to the crossfader problem :roll:
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:12 am

I'm not surely understand the problem (es el problemna de ser de pueblo)...

You are talking about vst version of ms pinky to do scratches inside cubase or anything else? which kind of features it maybe offer?

well, in my opinion we don't need the vst because the listed setup by Scott is enought to rec sesions or "virtual" scratches but If you want automatize it you must need a vst host and Ms pinky vst automatizable parameters... MAybe to do one time scratch routine and copy /paste twice or more on chorus parts for example and change the scratch cut. This idea isn't mine, this feature is already on Nummark CDX which implement midi ciontrol.

Another thing maybe a wonderful automatized panel onto you could paint the curves like Fruity scratcher but in real time and with your turtable... It may be an scracth partiture like TTM (Turntable Transcription Method) by J. Carlucchio (see Scratch the movie)

There are some ideas to work Scott.

The solution to all these questions are the audio/midi Crossfader (like xone 96) or like my dreams (vestax modding).

I'm working on it but I haven't any time and NOBODY replies my

topics... nobody interested on it??

For a moment you could set volume channel as midi control message and crossfade it (this idea is stolen from Mixvibes),

The key to succes is Integrate, remember:

Absorb what is usefull, reject what is useless and add what is originally from yours. (Jun Fan Dixit)

see you.

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:05 pm

Mudo i cant say much but considering you have asked everywhere (I believe i even read a thread by you at the MIDIBox forums?) I will let a little out.

You will be able to get a battle fader soon that does something pretty cool and will be a rail guide too ;)

Thats all i'm saying so please dont ask me any Qs :P

So in this sense a VST would be a good thing, But i must add why do people think it has to be a plugin by Pinky herself ? , Somebody else may do one Cough Cough Ahem :wink:
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:33 pm

Hello Hotcakes,

If I understand you; Are you working on the audio/midi crossfader? Good news... If you need help please contact me. If I would have more freetime I believ that the vestax 06 mod could be an reality far ago... but I didn't have it, sorry...

If you develop any modding please notice me.

In addition to your request... I think the vst lady could be an option for those who needs the automation inside any host such as Cubase, Sonar or Logic Audio also too learn scratching with Carluccio's TTM.

Why convert Lady into vst??? mmm, Why not, better?

If MS. Pinky becomes and standalone or vst plugin like FL studio the people could expand the possibilities but I ('m not surely but...) max/msp could done these things maybe? I'm not a programmer/electronic... Only a men who becomes an artist, only.

Un abrazo amigos!

Mudo (but didn't listenless ... X,D)

Mudo means mute person.

TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:24 am

What i want to do is

1. Record some scratching into logic.

2. Scratch with pinky while ableton live is running beats ect.

My main issue is with running 2 asio apps at once under xp, if maxipatch even loads at all, its unstable, crashes my system hlaf the time or causes the ASIO system to screw up, or runs in rewire mode which is useless because there are no inputs for the pinky vinyl. Being able to run pinky from within the logic or live would be a much more stable solution.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:12 am

well pluggo solve any of this problems?

Mudo means mute person.

dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Pluggo Pluggo, save me!!

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:28 am

Actually Yes. Pluggo SHOULD solve this problem, and very easily at that. Unfortunately, some important parts of Maxi-Patch_AO/AV (like the waveform display) which would need to be included as part of the VST plugin are based on Max/MSP javascript, which doesn't seem to work quite right inside a "Pluggo" VST plugin. I've already tried to create a very simple VST using Pluggo but haven't been satisfied with the results because my javascript waveform displays won't work in the plugin version. Also-- a bigger problem... there is no easy way to load files inside the plugin. Ideally it would be possible to simply drag & drop them from (for example) Ableton Live's own internal file browser....
TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:49 am

http://www.skratchworx.com/news/comments.php4?id=352

This guy reckons he's whipped up a vst version of pinky but can't seem to get hold of him. :(

P.S I can live without waveform displays.