BinkyToy issues with one deck

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
Pesto
BinkyToy issues with one deck

Post by Pesto » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:12 pm

Hey all,

I am using BinkyToy (latest version) on a G4/667 PBook running 10.3.9 (512MB RAM). From time to time, I use it only with one deck and have experienced a strange thing:

when I deactivate the vinyl control of the group playing, I can hear the pitch of the file playing slightly decreasing. I end up with an 1-hour mix that's roughly 5 or 6 BPM slower in the end. Anyone experienced this?

Also, if I set the pitch fader on my PDX2000 to fairly high levels (+6 and more), the percentage meter in BinkyToy still reads 100%, although the file is obviously pitched by the right amount.

Am I missing something here? I've been browsing through this forum but could not find anyone else with this problem. If it's been posted before, please point me to the thread.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cheers...Jost
the continental europe distributor for the gorgeous Missy
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

What is the sampling rate of your audio converter?

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:44 pm

Hey Pesto-

Very interesting. I've not experienced this myself but I have an idea. Can you tell me again which audio converter you're using and what the sampling rate is set to? I wonder if perhaps you're sampling at 48 kHz instead of 44.1 kHz. If you're audio converter is sampling at something other than 44.1 KHz, try setting it back to 44.1 and see if the problem is still there.

thanks for the interesting report!

-DLP
Pesto

awww...I knew I had forgotten something

Post by Pesto » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:31 pm

Hey Pinkstah,

I use an RME Hammerfall connected to the Cardbus-Interface with latest driver and hardware revision (via the flash update tool). The sampling rate is fixed to 44.1kHz, the card is set wordclock sync master.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: BinkyToy issues with one deck

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:40 pm

Pesto wrote:Also, if I set the pitch fader on my PDX2000 to fairly high levels (+6 and more), the percentage meter in BinkyToy still reads 100%, although the file is obviously pitched by the right amount.
That's the way it's supposed to work, actually. The pitch slider on the individual file player view does not follow the pitch of the turntable when vinyl control is enabled, and therefore also does not reflect the actual pitch setting of the file as it is playing under turntable control. If you want to see the actual pitch of the file as it plays under turntable control, just go to the "vinyl demod" tabbed view and check out the pitch reading for the deck in question. Note also that when you disengage the turntable control, the pitch slider on the individual file player will update to reflect the actual pitch of the turntable at the moment that vinyl control was disengaged.

As to why you hear a slight decrease in the pitch when you disengage turntable control, I don't know. That should not happen, obviously. When you disengage turntable control the file's pitch should remain perfectly constant at just what it was when the turntable control was enabled.
Pesto

Thanks...

Post by Pesto » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:49 pm

Hey Pinkstah,

Thanks a lot for your quick help!

Seems like I have to mix with two decks then;)

Cheers...Jost/Pesto
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Try the new build I just uploaded

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:20 pm

Jost-

I just reviewed the BinkyToy code and I can see that there was one thing which could make the pitch change slightly from exactly how you set it with the turntable when you disengaged turntable control. Basically, the problem is that the pitch value which was set when turntable control was disengaged used to be quantized according to the discrete values that the pitch value slider control can assume. So I changed the code so that now when turntable control is disengaged, the EXACT value of the pitch is maintained. I made two new builds (G3 & G4) and uploaded them just now. Please take a minute to download the new build and see if the problem persists.

NOTE: I have also fixed a serious (crashing) bug with the keyboard commands in this new build. Key commands are now working much better!

-DLP
Pesto

Customer relationship

Post by Pesto » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:25 pm

Scott,

if the word customer relationship and support wasn't invented yet, it would have been just now!

Thanks a lot, man! Will download immediately and test in a minute!

Cheers...Jost/Pesto
Pesto

Wicked!!!

Post by Pesto » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:55 pm

Hey Scott,

just tried BinkyToy 2.3.1 and it seems to work just fine!

I also tried with a 1kHz test tone and couldn't hear any change.

I must admit though that there seems to be a difference when using the Mac's built in audio compared to using the Hammerfall Multiface. It does not depend on latency settings nor file type (AIFF or MP3). It's abit weird, really, but after all, the problem seems to have become much smaller. Which is good. :)

Thank you very much for being so responsive and fast!!! Wow! :D