Digidesign Mbox 2 + Mac PB g4 Superdrive

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
jluca
Digidesign Mbox 2 + Mac PB g4 Superdrive

Post by jluca » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:36 am

If anybody has experience or advice about the combination of using a mac PB, well stacked, with a digidesign mbox2 factory bundle with Ms. Pinky, I would appreaciate comments. Given this technical scenario, would Final Scratch or Ms. Pinky be better for live sets? I use Digital Peformer, Pro Tools, Abelton, Max/MSP to prepare sets, but havent been able to do much live. Ususally entails pre-mixing, and creating a track in DP4, but thats pretty lame to play live. I want control over mp3 and digital audio files that I prepare so I can mix in with existing vinyl or just mix live from computer. Any suggestions would be very helpful. (I know that Final Scracth is quite expensive....). Thank you!!!!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

If you can afford it, get both!! (FS2 + Ms Pinky)

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:04 pm

Keep in mind that with the M-Box (which is not actually among the list of audio devices recommended for use with Ms Pinky) you will only be able to use (1) single turntable. Please read carefully through the physical setup page on the site:

http://www.mspinky.com/WreckedSystem_PhysSetup.html

With Ms Pinky you need to provide your own audio converter (and depending on which audio converter you get, you may also need extra phono preamps as well.....). Final Scratch (FS2), on the other hand, comes with it's own very nice FireWire audio converter with turntable connections built-in. That makes the physical setup part very easy.

So, if you can afford it, I would say, why not get both systems? If you buy FS2 you will have a fine FireWire audio converter that you can then use with Ms Pinky's vinyl & software to do all the fun things that FS can't do... :lol:

If that's too much money to spend, then think about getting the U46DJ from Ego Systems (see lots of other posts on this forum about the U46DJ). It's a fine audio converter that also accepts direct turntable connections and makes the physical setup of Ms Pinky very easy.