Mspinky: she feels like vinyl to me!

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
scam_artist
Mspinky: she feels like vinyl to me!

Post by scam_artist » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:03 am

I've been using mspinky for a few days. I use the VST plugin version, with one deck (a modest Numark TT1650) with a Shure M44-7-H headshell/stylus, running through an ArTcessories DeeJay Pre into a M-audio Firewire Audiophile.

And wow, it's amazing! For all intensive purposes, it feels like vinyl with my setup

8) 8) 8)
john sweet

Post by john sweet » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:46 pm

What program are you running the VST inside of? Are you scratching with it? How does it sound? Sorry about all the questions, but it's hard to find details about Pinky. Im still thinking about it. Do you have a way to post a demo track?
collapsicon2

Post by collapsicon2 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:54 am

hey John, I just got my set up working,

I got it for scratching= works flawlesly= get it!

I have tried the vst in albelton live and fruity loops, love it !

I'm using a stanton str8 150, emu1616m, staton sa 3 mixer, on a side note i use the s/pdif in on the emu as this table has digital out :D. you realy have to try pinky!
VideoScratch

Post by VideoScratch » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:41 pm

1_mspinky runs fine about scratching even for really technical tricks.

far better than the final scratch 1.5 i own.

2_i've tried with cubase SX 1.6 and 2.0 > unable to make this work

3_i've tried with the latest version of ableton live > works fine !

4_QUESTION:

how you guys route the signal to use the crossfader ?
...happyness is a warm slipmate...
klarky

Post by klarky » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:41 am

yeah i use the plug in version too in ableton live 5, i find the vinyl control is very good, but feels a bit more "fluffy" due to the type of material and probably a little latency but you soon get used to it and although im not a great scratcher i feel the pinky vinyl is less skippable than normal vinyl
collapsicon2

Post by collapsicon2 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:00 am

Hi Video

in my host program I have two channels one is taking the imput of ms pinky this channel is then sent to one of my sound card outs which is going into the cross fader, the cross fader is then going in to say in2 on my sound card, a seperate channel is set up to hear this channel, done.

it took me a while how to figer it out with the emu patch mix software as I have to add a new asio channel strip wich is beening sent to a physical out put on my card.

also its interesting to put effects befor and after the crossfader you can get some realy alien scratches going on!
VideoScratch

Post by VideoScratch » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:40 am

thanks !

in fact 10min after i write this post, i was doing like you say.

in ableton live it's really easy to do it. you can choose ins and out for each track. and you can do real time recording and looping.

but edition etc... is not prescise as Cubase. i didn't take time to see if i can do so in cubase...

using a MOTU828mkII, i have to get the buffer size to 96 to get almost undetectable latency (less than 20ms). if it's more, it's really a problem for prescise scratch combo.

adding FX will add some latency isn'it ?
...happyness is a warm slipmate...
collapsicon2

Post by collapsicon2 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:45 am

Well I have a farly decent machine so I can add one or two cheep effects and keep the latency down, I gues my way of working is when I need to lay down some scrtaches this will be done in the early stages of a track so the latency can be low, or bounce the track down in a new file with low latency and scratch over that save the scratch file and reopen it in the original song and arange the bits in there but yeah you need to keep the latency down low thats the key and thatas going to be diferent on diferent computer/sound card driver set ups, farly happy with the emus drivers, had a motu 828mk2 be for this but dint get to try pinky with it , it s very nice interface though.

as far as putting more effects on im about to set up this

http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/product.html

basicly alows other computers in your studio to take the load for vst effecs for you so you could keep your latency down for scratching longer ;)

Chek it out.
toastytraxx

Post by toastytraxx » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:42 am

There has been a comparison between FS and mspinky previous in the thread with mspinky being better as far as latency goes etc. Has any1 compared Serato SL and mspinky. i want to get SSl but its exy as we all know and SSL is much better than FS for reaction time ie scratching!

Does the pink compare to SSL reaction wise with a decent soundcard, u46dj? anyone compared closely??