Ms Pinky on the new Macs

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:24 pm

I've just been trying out the pinky VST plugin with Ableton Live, which is Great fun!

There seems to be a problem that it needs a massive sound buffer to run, which ups the latency to at least 50ms. I'm not sure, but I was wondering if this is to do with either:

- my version of ableton (5.0 I think) running in non-intel-native, rosetta mode?

or

- the vst plugin being non-native?

or even both. Is the VST plugin compiled for a specific platform or is the just the Pluggo runtime that needs to be Universal Binary to be fully compatible?

Thanks in advance for any answers to these questions!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Pluggo runtime is not UB

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:49 am

Unfortunately, Pluggo runtime has not been released yet as Universal Binary. Once Cycling-'74 does release a UB Pluggo runtime, then the Pinky Pluggo will easily be converted to UB. But for now there's not much you can do with Pinky Pluggo on an Intel Mac :cry:

Working on UB version of BinkyToy... though there are significant obstacles to that being completed. BinkyToy is built using the Metrowerks Code Warrior development tools, which are pretty much history now for OSX. Metrowerks has apparently refocused all there energies on embedded systems development and has left those of us that depended on their desktop development tools "high and dry".
Dan

Post by Dan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:02 pm

Thanks for the update! :) I've no doubt that porting everything to UB is a mammoth task, particularly for anything low-level like audio. Not to mention the problems of unsupported IDE's / Dev centres.

Keep up the great work, it's well appreciated!

(Incidentally, I've come across a (cheeky) work-around for this recent U46DJ problem, should I post it in the "Announcement" on the sound card forum, or is there a better place where it could go?)
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:59 pm

Dan wrote:(Incidentally, I've come across a (cheeky) work-around for this recent U46DJ problem, should I post it in the "Announcement" on the sound card forum, or is there a better place where it could go?)
By all means, please post here, there, anywhere.... if you've got a way to make that thing work any better, I'm all ears :D