Ms Pinky Me!

Post by chadcona » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:26 pm

Looking for a little set up help...

I have...

AMD athalon 64 , 1 gig of ram , 100 gig hard drive , 2.2 mhz

Egosystems Udj46

Numark ttx's , with brand new Sure M44-7's

Numark 5000 fx mixer

I can't seem to get any vinyl tracking working, or get the audio to play through clean. There is always some distortion, I have been trying alot of different settings and wiring, but still can't seem to get it dialed. I am using generation 3 vinyl and maxi patch a0.

Looking forward to rocking out!!!!!

CHAD
afreek1000

Post by afreek1000 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:40 pm

Could you go through how you have everything set up(hardware), and also what you have configured in the control panel,MsPinky & Me, and the more section? That would help us help you........wurd.
chadcona

Post by chadcona » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:02 am

Alright,

My control panel sound settings, has the u46dj as my default sound playback device, i followed all the install intructions and the device works great.

My set up hardware wise has my table outputs set to phono, going into the u46's 1,2 and 3,4 input channels and then the outputs from the u46 going into my mixer channels 2 and 4 set to phono, the phono switchs on the u46dj are on. The whole thing is set up to the computer on usb and to my stereo from the master out of the mixer.

Ms Pinky and Me settings has my driver as asio u46dj 44khz, I've played with the vector sizes trying from 128 up to 512, the input and outputs have me confused as there are 4 input selection and 6 outputs, just like the u46, but the only time i ever read a signal in the vinyl tracker settings (the more tab) was when all of these were set at channel 1.

I have table 1 as 1-2 ina and out, and table 2 as 3-4 in and out.

I the more tab I have gen3 vinyl selected, relative mode vinyl, i've tried to play with the signal power thresh and the cut off sharpness.

Well I hope i've explained the settings enough , I'm stoked to get this up and running.

Thanks for the help

Chad
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

U46DJ Outputs should go into the "line" inputs on

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:06 am

Chadcona-

One problem that I can spot right away is that you say you're sending the U46DJ outputs to the "phono" inputs on your mixer. That will cause major distortion. Why? Because the "phono" inputs on your mixer are meant to receive a signal of only several millivolts in amplitude, whereas the outputs from the U46DJ are line level (1 Volt peak-to-peak). So the inputs on your mixer are getting massively overdriven by the U46DJ's outputs. Can I make that any more clear? :lol:

Be sure always to send the U46DJ outputs to "line" inputs on your mixer.

The "phono" switch on the front panel of the U46DJ applies only to its inputs, not its outputs.

cheers,

DLP
chadcona

almost....

Post by chadcona » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:04 pm

So after reading the pinkstah's reply I switched the the inputs on my mixer to line and almost magically the vinyl tracking startes to work, I could move the record and have the audio track respond accordingly. So one of my friends who was helping me out suggested that i switch everything to line. After doing this nothing worked again! So i switched it all back again to the original nearly working set up, and no vinyl tracking! Ever since i haven't been able to get the tracking working again! So i have kinda tasted the sweetness of Ms Pinky but once again rejected! When reading the set up instructions I noticed that in the audio tab, the examples given for input and output say either input 1 or output 1 where as mine will come up as usb audio device 1 to 6, could this possibly be a problem? The only time i can actually here noise through the system is when they are all set to usb audio device 1, nothing seems to work when they are set on 2,3,4,5 or 6. I play weekly here in Fernie , BC and would really like to get this working. Has anyone else ever encountered these kind of problem's?

Thanks again , Chadcona

I just recieved the new issue of Computer Music and saw i tiny article on Ms Pinky, and i am stoked to hear it rocks... My friends with final scratch 2 are trying to tell me otherwise, please help me shut them up!!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: almost....

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:14 pm

chadcona wrote:So after reading the pinkstah's reply I switched the the inputs on my mixer to line and almost magically the vinyl tracking startes to work, I could move the record and have the audio track respond accordingly. So one of my friends who was helping me out suggested that i switch everything to line. After doing this nothing worked again!
OK, how can I make this any clearer? Never, never, never under any circumstances should you connect the outputs of the U46DJ to the "phono" inputs on your mixer. That is just totally wrong, OK? U46DJ outputs ALWAYS go to the LINE inputs on your mixer. Endastory.

Those little switches on the front of the U46DJ are only for controlling what type of INPUT signal you want the unit to receive. So if you're connecting your turntables to the unit, AND your turntables DO NOT have built-in phono preamps (and hence line-level outputs), you must set those switches to "PHONO". If, on the other hand, your turntables have the ability to output a line-level signal, then set those switches to "LINE".

So what's the moral of this story? Never listen to your friends :wink:

They will only mislead you and try to drag you down to their level...
chadcona

Almost there

Post by chadcona » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:30 am

The one thing I would really like to have explained is in the Audio settings window, the Input and Output selections. Why is there only 2 inputs and 2 outputs, when everything hooks up in stereo shouldn't there be 4 and 4?

The reason why i ask is because that everything is now working except that on one of the tables i can only get the right channel , the other one will have both channels, and if I play around with the turntable input and output selections i can get them both to work in stereo but then it will only be on one channel in the mixer, where as in the first configuration they are on 2 separate channels in the mixer but one is lacking the left.

either way i have got it mostly working and its awesome, my final scratch friends have played with it and are amazed by the tracking control, and are currently looking into picking ms pinky up.

Thanks alot for your patience as i don't have alot of experiece with this sort of stuff.

Chadcona
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Check your I/O Mappings

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:39 am

Hey Chad-

Glad to hear there's at least some progress. :lol:

Good work!

What I think is presently troubling you is the question of "I/O Mappings". The controls labeled "Input Channel 1/2" and "Output Channel 1/2" under the audio settings window indicate the starting index of your audio converter's input/output channels for mapping to the audio input/output channels that Maxi-Patch actually uses to get audio in/out of the program. I always recommend that you simply set "Input Channel 1/2" to 1/2. Thus "Input Channel 1" should be something like "1 Analog 1" and "Input Channel 2" should be something like "2 Analog 2", and likewise for the output channels.

The reason I think you're only hearing one channels of your second deck's inputs and outputs is because the U46DJ specifically has faulty drivers which randomly screw up the "I/O Mappings" that are set in the audio settings window. Go to the audio settings window. Click on "I/O Mappings". This brings up another window in which you can set the mappings between the channels you've selected for "Turntable 1/2" and the physical audio I/O channels of your audio device. I suspect you'll find that the channels you're not hearing have corresponding settings under "I/O Mappings" that are turned off. This of course is not your fault. It's entirely the fault of those nincompoops at ESI who've left us with some very bad drivers for the U46DJ. You may even have to resort to quitting maxi-patch, and then restarting, before you'll be able to get these "I/O Mappings" to configure properly. I'm sorry about that... :cry:

It's a real inconvenience I know but for now you'll just have to do that.

So bottom line: The I/O Mappings under audio settings will actually connect the physical inputs/outputs of the audio device to the internal audio input/output channels that will carry the signals into/out from the program. Sometimes these I/O Mappings get screwed up (especially with the very bad terrible awful drivers that ESI has provided) and you may need to reset them.. which may also involve quitting and re-starting the program to get them to take effect. I know, I know... it's a pain.. but it can be made to work... keep trying :wink:

Hope this isn't too unintelligible.. but how else can a rational person respond to the idiocy imposed by ESI????