ms pinky + iTunes

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
obee
ms pinky + iTunes

Post by obee » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:33 pm

Yo there everyone, i reckon i've just come up with a potentially cool idea and i wanna know what everyone else thinks of it and whether it's possible to do it etc. It goes a little something like this:

People using ms pinky will probably be using it to DJ with and if your running blinky toy and therefore are on a mac then the program you will be using to store your music collection will most probably be itunes. You see what i reckon would be cool is if there would be a plugin created allowing people to use all the functions of blinky toy within itunes itself to make a nice neat little package.

By creating a simple plugin you could enable itunes to do the following. You could have icons corresponding to each deck you have connected to your computer near by your library and playlists so songs could easily be dragged and dropped from these into the decks easier than it is with just the blinky toy program running alongside itunes (as it is within the same program). Then once songs have been added to a deck, when you click on it it would list all the songs in your usual itunes like manner down in a section at the bottom along with all their info etc. When you click on a song you would be able to select whether it is assigned to the deck or not, select it's speed and auto-gating properties in another little section on the page. Then the rest of the screen can be used to show the waveform of the song and add effects etc. You could even keep it all neat and tidy by giving it it's own preference tab allowing you to select all the soundcard and vinyl demod settings seperately. All outgoing audio would also go out through the built in graphics equalizer that it has which really does pack a punch to the sound in my opinion.

Just imagine... Playing Ms Pinky through iTunes!

I just think this would be proper ace as it would use all the functionality of the app we all know and love (blinky toy) within an app that just about everyone already uses. I believe it would also make it a little bit easier to use with the dragging and dropping etc and the fact that you can do stuff like select multiple tracks at once and that it uses the cool mac itunes user interface.

If this were to be implemented it shouldn't be too hard either as although i don't know how itunes plugins are created myself, they must be programmed in some way, and all the programming for blinky toy (i.e. the engine) has already been done so you could just implement all the procedures and functions of blinky toy within this plugin even if the required language is different to the original one as it would only be a matter of potentially simple language translation.

It doesn't even have to stop there as now we know that itunes can hold all our videos that we want and therefore a similar maxi-patch plugin could be created to manipulate the videos within itunes (wow! amazing).

We all love ms pinky because of the potential it has over other programs like the use of it to control parameters within audio production programs and VJing and just because of the name, it's graphics and the fact that it is pink you know it is so much cooler than any other alternative like finalscratch etc (plus it has been designed and created in such an ace and sexy place which i just love, i wanna live there someday), yet the only thing i think is letting it down is the user interface just with the simple things like the dragging and dropping and method of playing tracks which is all down to the software. In my eyes the hard part of coming up with the concept and the vinyl has all been done including the technical programming, it would just make it so much better if it had that slightly easier to use user interface like all the other kinda products have, which is also the easiest part to create. I'm a mac user and i know i get off on the fact that my computer is just so sleek and tidy and everything integrates with each other, it would be ace if ms pinky could do this too. The plugins could also be ported over to windows (if you wanted that to happen!).

Anyway, just my two cents, of course i'd love to see it come true, heck if i had the time i'd probably try and do it myself but unfortunately i don't. I wanna know what other people think of it or whether they have anything to add to it, is it possible and more to the point is it gonna be done?

see y'all later

obee
dirtyloop

Post by dirtyloop » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:23 pm

yo obee,i'm down wit you man.been using ms pinky,but like you said,the interface kinda turns me off while i play.and the hard to read track names if you import songs from itunes.Heck, maybe i should own a serato.i really love
ms pinky.really be excited if what obee said comes true.dlphinksta?whats up?