I can't seem to make this software work at all...help.

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
Mr.Guy
I can't seem to make this software work at all...help.

Post by Mr.Guy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:49 am

Hi I am running a M-Audio 2496, One TT500 (Numark) turntable...a Ecler 360 Hak mixer...

Can anyone who knows please tell me the proper setup and settings to make the Maxi-Patch AO work? I'm not getting any sound at all. Thanks.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Quick_Start.pdf

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:34 am

Yo-- you got some homework to do:

1) Download the "Maxi-Patch_AO" (audio-only) program to start with. Copy the downloaded archive to your hard drive and unzip.

2) Read the "Quick_Start.pdf" file that is found in the same folder with the Maxi-Patch application. Follow all the simple instructions in that file and you should have no trouble getting up and running.

It's a snap! C'mon peeples... :wink:
Mr.Guy

Re: Quick_Start.pdf

Post by Mr.Guy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:39 am

dlpinkstah wrote:Yo-- you got some homework to do:

1) Download the "Maxi-Patch_AO" (audio-only) program to start with. Copy the downloaded archive to your hard drive and unzip.

2) Read the "Quick_Start.pdf" file that is found in the same folder with the Maxi-Patch application. Follow all the simple instructions in that file and you should have no trouble getting up and running.

It's a snap! C'mon peeples... :wink:

Well I did all that and I get no signal....so not quite a 'snap'...any suggestions?
djone37

Post by djone37 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:01 am

DLP, its a problem with the soundcard... we were trying to get the m-audio driver to work in the pink but somehow things are going as planned.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Learn to use your audio converter

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:03 am

Here's the basic Ms Pinky setup in slideshow form:

http://www.mspinky.com/setup_slideshow/ ... Setup.html

The block diagram in the last slide says it all. It's really very simple.

And it is up to you to know how to do simple signal routing and use a multi-channel audio device. The audio device that you purchased should have come with its own instruction manual and probably also came with a mixer application of some kind to show you have to use it. It's 100% YOUR JOB to figure out how to use your own audio converter. Endastory.

Also-- if you want to have the privilege of posting your problems on this forum, then the least you can do is give a complete description of your system: what make/model of computer (how fast CPU, how much RAM), what type of OS are you running (and what version), what audio converter, and how all the components of your system are connected. If you are simply too lazy to even give a complete description of the system you're using, then there really is nothing I can do to help you.
Mr.Guy

Re: Learn to use your audio converter

Post by Mr.Guy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:05 am

I'm more than aware how to signal route and I'm not at all lazy I just assumed someone might be familiar with the soundcard I used along WITH this program. The computer specs I have shouldn't make a difference either way really but here they are:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+

1.83 ghz 1 gig of ram

As far as I can tell that's more than enough. I haven't had problems running my soundcard with other systems serato/fs/dj decks etc. So I'm at a loss as to what might be the problem.

For some reason I'm just not getting a proper signal (its very quiet) into the software...so if anyone if knowledgable about the M-Audio 2496 (internal) soundcard for PC, help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Check the I/O Mappings

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:25 am

OK, thanks for completing the description of your system. It actually does help me, for instance, to know that you're running under XP instead of OSX.

The interaction between Maxi-Patch (AO or AV) and the audio device is pretty much fully controlled by the contents of the "Audio Settings" window in Maxi-Patch. There are two basic parts to this: (1) choosing the Audio Driver (and possibly the Input Source, etc..) and making adjustments to the Audio Driver via the "Audio Driver Setup" button, and (2) mapping the audio inputs/outputs from a given device to channels internal to the program. So, start by selecting your Audio Driver to be the one corresponding the the ASIO driver for you M-Audio box. Then hit the "Audio Driver Setup" button to bring up the control panel for the M-Audio box. If everything looks right in the control panel, close it and return to the "Audio Settings" window. Now try hitting the "I/O Mappings" button. It should show you how the various input channels of the M-Audio box get mapped to channels within Maxi-Patch. If you could take a screen snapshot of the "Audio Settings" window, the M-Audio control panel that should come up when you hit "Audio Driver Setup", and the "I/O Mappings" window so I can see them, then maybe we can spot where the problem is.
Mr.Guy

Re: Check the I/O Mappings

Post by Mr.Guy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:32 pm

dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Turn up the input volume levels

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:21 pm

Thanks. Those do help.

I may be misreading the pictures, but it looks to me like in the M-Audio Delta Control Panel thingy you have all the input levels turned down all the way. Yet, in Maxi-Patch Audio Settings, you are choosing Input Channel 1 and Input Channel 2 to be "1 Analog In 1 Delta....", etc. So it looks to me like you just need to crank up the input volume levels in the M-Audio Delta Control Panel. No?
Mr.Guy

Re: Turn up the input volume levels

Post by Mr.Guy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:00 am

dlpinkstah wrote:Thanks. Those do help.

I may be misreading the pictures, but it looks to me like in the M-Audio Delta Control Panel thingy you have all the input levels turned down all the way. Yet, in Maxi-Patch Audio Settings, you are choosing Input Channel 1 and Input Channel 2 to be "1 Analog In 1 Delta....", etc. So it looks to me like you just need to crank up the input volume levels in the M-Audio Delta Control Panel. No?

I actually had them turned up (the volumes) just not in that pic...but I wonder now...does a TT500 Numark turntable already have a phono pre amp in it? I assumed it did as I read that the TTX did as well and this is the same model minud the digital display...perhaps I need the phono amp?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

TT500 has no built-in preamps

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:32 am

No, the TT500 has none of the extra circuitry built-in (phono preamps, SPDIF digital outputs, etc) as the TTX. That would explain why you're not seeing a signal coming into Maxi-Patch. So you'll need a phono preamp to bring the signal up to line-level before going into the M-Audio audio card. Or you could trade in the TT500 for a TTX, which would also allow you to connect via SPDIF...
djone37

Re: TT500 has no built-in preamps

Post by djone37 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:03 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:No, the TT500 has none of the extra circuitry built-in (phono preamps, SPDIF digital outputs, etc) as the TTX. That would explain why you're not seeing a signal coming into Maxi-Patch. So you'll need a phono preamp to bring the signal up to line-level before going into the M-Audio audio card. Or you could trade in the TT500 for a TTX, which would also allow you to connect via SPDIF...

Shouldn't Maxi-patch still see a weak signal? I know the error metric would be extreamly high but there should still be a weak signal in the pic Guy posted.
djone37

Post by djone37 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:22 am

It's all working now! :-)