max msp newcomer query

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
jashworth
max msp newcomer query

Post by jashworth » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:03 pm

hi

i am about to start a new project where i will be using a gavlanic skin response sensor then use this sensor output to change the mood of the light(colour). if any can tell me if this is possible is max msp and how i could do this that would be great, plus if any has seen any sort of project that are familar to this description that would also be very helpfull.

many thanks

james
jowan

easy....

Post by jowan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:20 am

well not really,

there is a massive network of geeks playing around with 'physical computing'. this is also the title of an excelent book that will tell you ecactly how to do what you want, its here on amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1592 ... e&n=266239

you have to use a serial device to get the sensor data into the computer,

there are many different ways to do this,

then you need software to translate the data into inforation you want,

again many ways.

DMX is the intelligent lighting protocol, like MIDI is for electronic instrumnets,

if you are using Max/MSP you would need to buy 'Teleo' from 'making things' and simply wire in the sensor in to the device, the make patch where the incoming data is converted in am analog out signal - PWM, and onnect you light or dimmer switch to that (yo may need to use transistors to bump up the power)

or...

you could give PD (pure data) a try, its Max/MSPs open source sister, and its free (and simpilar) and then buy or make your own Arduino board -

http://www.arduino.cc/

and do te same as above - except with this system you programme the board with the sensor going in and the light / dmx going out and unplug it from your compter, this way maing it a stand alone controller with out an ambilicle cord

or.....

you could do some hardware hacking, the galvnic skin responce sensors are very low current variable resistors so you could just amplify that current with a varable transistir directly.

but...

how does this change the color? well ... you could make one light box with 3 lights in it with a red, green and blue gell on each and prograam with max or whatever to fade the amounts of each. or... DMX has a cannel for controling the color of intelligent lights. you can get midi to dmx converter software so you could have your sensor data coming in to max via teleo, convertedinto midi - then converted into dmx, then outputeed via a dmx pci card or controller softweare for a dmx desk, plugged into an intelligent light!

hope ive helped - and hope your not totally confused

pd vs arduino is the best

one question...

what has this got to do with MsPinky?????

jowan

http://file-error.net
jashworth

cheers

Post by jashworth » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:32 pm

hi

think i mite give puredata a go as its free and the arduino board looks cheaper....

not sure if this is a stupid question but when programming the board where is the code input and what programme is used for this?

from what you have said it seems like you do the programming then detach from the computer and leave the device to itself. is the lighting attached to this device aswell??

so the inout and out put are both linked to thh board after programming.

sorry for all questions new to this and trying to get my head round it.

p.s proberly posted in wrong forum my bad....
jowan

lets move

Post by jowan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:40 pm

i think you should move this conversation over to somewhere where others can input to

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

then go to hardware / interfcing /

and post there

but yes, you programm the device by writing in code on free software then you transfere it to the device through usb/serial, then you can unplug it with all your sensors and output devices pluged into it - its pretty cool

jo