Auto Beat Matching DJ apps

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
mobius
Auto Beat Matching DJ apps

Post by mobius » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:11 pm

I hope everyone on the mspinky forum feels as strong as I do about the use of automatic beat matching. beat matching is a basic skill that every dj should know. I simply will not use an app that does this for me. I think it posses a serious threat to all our reputations as Dj's, and I will continue to let the developers know this. I hope you all will do the same...

No automatic beat matching please , thank you....Mobius Ray
gmint

Post by gmint » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:23 am

I understand where you're coming from and I'm not trying to start a war here. I do agree that beatmatching is an essential DJ skill. However, I guess my question would have to be, if beatmatching is an essential DJ skill and a computer can automatically do it better, how is it that your (or anyone else's) refusal to use such a system is going to protect us as DJs?

It seems to me your logic is a little flawed. Consider this, say that instead of being DJs, we were typesetters. It's 2006 and we have the benefit of hindsight. If, 50 or 100 years ago we were to see inventions in printing (not the least of which would be the desktop computer and laser printer) and decide that our tact was to just insist on not using any new technology that came out because it did a large part of our job for us, where would we be now? Would our insistence on resisting technology have preserved the typesetting profession? I highly doubt it. Instead, we would have spent so much time resisting change that we would have been all but obliterated by those who chose to embrace it...

If you think that's not equally true for DJing, I think you're way off the mark. The way I see it, if you embrace technology instead of resisting it, you'll have more time to move the art form forward into new areas and you'll be ahead of the curve. For example, just consider what you can do now in terms of integrating video into your performance--maybe beatmatching will give way to that and there will be a new essential skill for DJs. Conversely in 10-20 years you can continue insisting that beatmatching is the essence of DJing. However, I'm willing to bet you'll be preaching to a much smaller choir...
mobius

Post by mobius » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:36 pm

That's an interesting perspective you have. I still think a DJ, or disc jockey, should posses the necessary skill set to perform his / her job. By your thinking, technology can do it all of you, while you just sit back , and watch with the rest of the crowd. Computers can't jockey discs. We just use technology to enhance the experience of being a DJ. I think ms pinky has always kept that in mind , and thats why she is my favorite.
Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:53 pm

This is a nice debate subject. I think you're both right;

Recall that famous Robert Moog statement that music is always on the cutting edge of technology, whether it be wood or silicon. It is possible to let the computer do all your work for you, and then to sit back and watch the crowd like you said. But at the end of the day, you're probably not going to be rated highly as a dj.

Most dj's will also agree that beat matching is to dj'ing, as spelling is to writing a sonnet; just because you can use a dictionary, doesn't mean you're the next Shakespeare. Beat matching is step one of a long flight of stairs.
gmint

Re: reply

Post by gmint » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:54 pm

mobius wrote:That's an interesting perspective you have. I still think a DJ, or disc jockey, should posses the necessary skill set to perform his / her job.

We're not in disagreement there. Like I said, I do think it is a basic skill a DJ should have. It's much the same as an accountant--they ought to be able to do a general ledger and know that debits go left and credits go right in an account, but that sure doesn't mean they should say "I'm not going to use QuickBooks (or any other accounting software) because that does all the accounting for you".

mobius wrote:By your thinking, technology can do it all of you, while you just sit back , and watch with the rest of the crowd.

Come on now, don't misattribute me. What I said was essentially that computers can take over some functions thereby allowing the DJ more time to perform other functions (e.g. the example I gave was video)

mobius wrote:Computers can't jockey discs. We just use technology to enhance the experience of being a DJ. I think ms pinky has always kept that in mind , and thats why she is my favorite.

Again, what you say is true enough, but I think one thing that your original post overlooks is that at least IMHO, the "art" of DJing has much more to do with programming than it does with performing a more-or-less mechanical skill like beat matching. Likewise, who's to say that it's more [fun, interesting, authentic, etc.] to see a DJ beat match two tracks than it is to see a DJ (who doesn't have to worry about beat matching) who can mix 4 tracks together at the same time? (I know, I know, I'm sure there a number of people who can do 4 decks AND manually beat match, but that's besides the point).

All told, I guess my post has two essential points:

1) if beat matching goes the way of hot type (or any other extinct technology) because of computers, then the thing for us as DJs to do is to innovate because,

2) simply refusing to use a function isn't going to make it go away.
gmint

Post by gmint » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:55 pm

Dan wrote:Most dj's will also agree that beat matching is to dj'ing, as spelling is to writing a sonnet; just because you can use a dictionary, doesn't mean you're the next Shakespeare. Beat matching is step one of a long flight of stairs.

Dan, I really like your analogy. I think it just about fits this topic perfectly!
nonfinite

Post by nonfinite » Sun May 27, 2007 1:37 am

Most good performances involve multiple stimuli; A good set is only one part of the equation.

I think if an aspiring musician wants to use beat matching software, that is his or her right. As a result, however, the visual aspect of the performance suffers as a result.

I'm sure we'll all agree, nobody enjoys watching a laptop musician. Boring. As. Shit. Even if the music is mind-numbingly-friggin'-awesome, I still get bored if it's just a laptop performance, and that's because of a lack of visual stimuli.

Personally, I see beat matching as a valuable skill. Not because we can do it manually, but because people WANT to see it done manually. People want to watch and hear something happen simultaneously: that is the essence of a performance.

Instead of speaking out against beat matching software, encourage budding musicians and DJs to include all elements of a good performance into their repertoir.
no_half_steppin

Post by no_half_steppin » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:44 am

The thing that beatmatching programs lack are the human element. Not every Dj will match any two beats the same, producing their own style. Same as Rapping. No one Emcee raps the same way or has the same flow.

I'm not against these programs, but I will never utilize them for the simple fact that I love doing it myself. Of course I am still in the process of learning and have a long way to go, but I enjoy mixing myself.
gmint

Post by gmint » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:55 pm

nonfinite wrote:I'm sure we'll all agree, nobody enjoys watching a laptop musician. Boring. As. Shit. Even if the music is mind-numbingly-friggin'-awesome, I still get bored if it's just a laptop performance, and that's because of a lack of visual stimuli.
Actually, I won't agree with that. Here's a case in point. Probably a year ago, my wife and I saw Gabriel & Dresden DJ in Chicago. They used Live to do the whole set so there was absolutely no beatmatching going on. Even so, it was an INCREDIBLE show. Moreover, when I explained to my wife that G&D weren't really doing anything particularly challenging (since they were using Live), her response was "who cares". Of course, she's not a DJ, but she is what I would call a "casual" listener of electronic music and we've seen lots of DJs together. My point is essentially that while beatmatching may make a difference to DJs, it probably doesn't make much of a difference to many (if not most) of our audience members.