Help this Newbie, please!

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
sadie8686
Help this Newbie, please!

Post by sadie8686 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:05 pm

O.K., I just got introduced to this today, and I've been reading, but the website is not set up very well, and I'm confused by the forums. I was told to buy pinky pluggo in conjuntion w/motu ultralite audio interface to spin dummy records like FS2, and use ableton with it. How would this be different than me using FS2, and does it let me control the Ableton songs on the records just like Ableton was another turntable? If not what is the plus for pluggo w/Ableton??? Thanks. :lol:

P.S. I have a Macbookpro. Is this a problem???
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Keep the FS2, use it with Ms Pinky!

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:01 am

If you already have the FS2 FireWire Interface, I'd recommend using that with Ms Pinky. You can plug your turntables (or CDJ's) directly into the FS2 and then select it as the audio I/O device to use with Ableton, or with Ms Pinky's Maxi-Patch programs. Having the FS2 makes the setup much easier!!! So no, don't sell your FS2. Keep it and use it with Ms Pinky.

Since you have a Macbook, you will have to wait a little while longer for a Universal Binary version of Pinky Pluggo. Ms Pinky already has Universal Binary versions of her Maxi-Patch programs, but Cycling-'74 has not released UB version of Pluggo yet, so we're stuck waiting until they do. It should be real soon, though.
sadie8686

How's this sound for a setup???

Post by sadie8686 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:15 pm

I was told to run Ms. Pinky w/out the amp to conserve resources. What is the up side of using it? What is the difference in maxi-patch and binky toy?

Also, since pluggo lets you open it up in the DAW, i.e. Ableton, does it let you set those turntable channels up as there own channels in Ableton either seperately for left turntable and right turntable, or both in one channel?

Do I need a new soundcard for my setup of 2 turntables and Ableton out one Laptop(I suspect this is why you said to keep my FS2 amp)? People without my FS2 amp have to get a sound card for the turntable to go the computer, right? Then it goes from computer to audio interface to mixer, right? If I wanted to maximize everything, shouldn't I sell my FS2 amp, and get a soundcard?

***I just got a maudio 410 audio interface(I'm exchanging it for a different one), to send my ableton channels to my DJ mixer. Then I am going to line in from my mixer to computer, so I can record my mixes, and line out to my PA system. How does this setup sound???
sadie8686

Nevermind

Post by sadie8686 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:50 pm

Scratch those last questions about the setup, I figured it out. That setup was not right. I need the record out going into the computer, and output out going to PA system. And I figured out the question about having the "vinyl" channels in Ableton open.

I just need to know about the sound card. Thanks.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

The FS2 is your soundcard

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:13 pm

Keep in mind that the FS2 Amp IS a soundcard. And it's actually a really nice one for applications such as Ms Pinky because it can take DIRECT turntable connection... no need to fuss with preamps. And it has all the outputs too to drive your Mixer/PA. So I repeat... don't worry about soundcard. You already have one: the FS2 Amp. Use it with Ms Pinky and I think you'll be totally stoked.

Another nice thing about the FS2 Amp: it has two channels (1 stereo pair) of Auxiliary Inputs that can be used to record your final mixdown coming out from your mixer.
sadie8686

Post by sadie8686 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:46 pm

Tell me if there's a better way...

I am actually running Ableton out to a Focusrite Saphire audio interface, then into 2 channels on my mixer. I am then going to run Ms. Pinky into the Scratch Amp into my computer. I should be able to use Pluggo to have the two Pinky records in Ableton. Then I will send all 4 channels from Ableton to the mixer through the Sphire. . As long as I don't hook up RCA's from the FS2amp to the mixer, like normal "final scratch" setup, then the Pinky records should be routed to Ableton through Pluggo.

Main outs to PA I will then line in from the record outs on the mixer to the line in on my computer and record the whole mix in Ableton(muting that channel)!!! How does that sound???

How does your way of recording in aux of Scratch amp work?

By the way, thanx so much for your help! :P
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

K.I.S.S.

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:48 am

Look.. my basic philosophy is K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, Sadie :wink: ).

I mean, you can hook up any audio network you want to... knock yourself out. But before you make things way more complicated than they need to be, ask yourself.. why not K.I.S.S.?

For now, just to get started with Ms Pinky, here's what I recommend for you:

a) Stick with the FS2 Amp. Plug your turntables directly into the FS2, plug the outputs of the FS2 to the line ins on your mixer.

b) Start with Ms Pinky's "Maxi-Patch_AO" program for OSX, Universal Binary. It will run excellently on your Macbook. Inside the Maxi-Patch program, select the FS2 Amp as your audio device. It'll be sooooo easy.

Then put those lovely pink records on your turntables, load an .MP3 of your favorite song... and scratch away at it for a while. Be sure to read the "Quick_Start.pdf" guide that comes inside the Maxi-Patch download folder. Let that be your guide.

Later on, once you've mastered the basics of Ms Pinky's Maxi-Patch_AO program, then you'll be ready to experiment with more advanced configurations and string audio cables all over your pad and have 13 computers and 45 audio devices all running simultaneously in a huge feedback loop, if that's what you want to do :wink:

Just for now, please K.I.S.S.!
sadie8686

Plugo question...

Post by sadie8686 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:47 am

When you run Pluggo, and have your turntables playing in Ableton, does Ableton auto lock the pitch. I don't want it to. I want to be able to d.j. traditionally with the pitch control on my turntables. In other words, do I still have control w/the pitch on my tables over the pinky tracks in ableton?

What's the best way to ride the pitch on Ableton?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Pinky Pluggo runs independently of Ableton

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:03 am

As it currently stands, Pinky Pluggo runs completely independently of the tempo settings in Ableton. You set the pitch of the tracks that are playing in Pinky Pluggo with the turntable, just as you'd expect to.

Eventually, we will have some kind of tempo/beat information feedback to Ableton from Pinky Pluggo... not the other way around.

Also, keep in mind that right now Pinky Pluggo is not Universal Binary :cry:

Sadly, this means that until we are able to get it working as Universal Binary it won't run on your Macbook... except maybe via Rosetto. :cry: :cry:

But don't let that stop you... you can still rock Maxi-Patch_AO/AV on your Macbook :lol:
sadie8686

Are both turtables able to be processed in Ableton?

Post by sadie8686 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:27 pm

When you open Maxi in Ableton as a VST, are both turtables able to be processed in Ableton? How do you seperate the two? The only reason that I ask these questions is b/c Pluggo will not work on my Mac, and I have no way of testing this.