Live Set Up - Could Use Some Advice...

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
m.nash
Live Set Up - Could Use Some Advice...

Post by m.nash » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:59 pm

Hey guys, I was hoping you might be able to share some recommendation...

I'm looking to create a live mash-up dj set. I'm figuring Ableton Live is my best option because it'll be more remixing than mixing. However, I do want to include some mixing aspects, as well as scratching, and so I wanted to incorporate a MsPinky or timecoded vinyl set up.

So far I see that MsPinky is the only solution to incorporate timecoded vinyl control in Ableton live, via the Pluggo plugin, except from what I gather it can only control the audio, not pitch control features...? Is this correct, and is there plans to include pitch control with further pluggo updates?

The next question I have is, is it possible to run Ableton and MsPinky independently on one system? Would it kill system resources and lead to instability or popping noises, etc...?(I have a Duo Core 2.13 ghz, 2 gig ram... so its a good system). Can anyone share their experiences with this?

Finally, does the community have any recommendations on gear; sound cards, usb controllers, and any tips for the set up I'm looking to build?

Your help is massively appreciated. Thanks, and look forward to your response.
M'Nash
videoscratch_

Post by videoscratch_ » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:37 am

hi,

i didn't get what you mean with pitch control... (like pinky outputs pitch values tu use them like a midi controller ?)

but i use ms pinky inside live (as an insert effet w/ pluggo), as you do.
audio path:
turntable > soundcard in > pinky > live (i use vst fx) > soundcard out > out > dj mixer > soundcard in > live (looping tracks) > main outs

anyway it's difficult to run pinky out of live because then you need to run 2 soundcard (one for pinky and one for live). i know one of the protocol made for soundcard driver (kernel / asio / directX) support many devices, but i don't remember which...

also for improving performance and system stability i think it's better to do all inside one software.

i use live as a live looper controlled w/ midi footcontroller behringer > a little midi interface > bome's midi translator > live
(check live website (forums) to know more about this setup)

as a souncard, i got a motu828.

advice on soundcard : better converter you got, the more accurate pinky is (& better the sound is). you shouldn't be afraid of spending bucks on a good soundcard.

i've helped frinds to make their set ups, and i recommend you motu ultralite or edirol fa101. prefer firewire (more reliable than usb - you never know the quality of the usb chip on your motherboard, especially on notebook. usually firewire rocks no doubt !)

you'll need lot of in/out on this setup

good preamps and good wires will be welcome.
i'm was a final scratch user since version 1.0 and i've worked on most of them (serato, mixvibe, dj decks...) the criticall thing with those systems is the signal's path between needle and souncard.
got to take great care to avoid electromagnetic perturbation, background noise, hum etc.
put your bucks on preamps, wires (!), and soundcard and miss pinky will become a reliable friend (no weird bugs and strange behaviour) especially if you've plan to go on stage.

good luck !
...Hapiness is a warm slipmate...