Thinking about buying mspinky, a few questions

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
hydro
Thinking about buying mspinky, a few questions

Post by hydro » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:53 pm

Easy, i am currently seriously considering buying mspinky, however i have never actually used it to scratch with, so.......

How good is the response, when cutting, does the sound break down digitally (i.e when you move the record fast/slow)?

How thick are the the mspinky vinyl? Heavy, light?
How long do they last using shure m447 carts?

Does it have to be used with max/msp or can it be used as a standalone unit, with the option of recording into Logic 7.2 (intel)?

I have a edirol 66 soundcard, vestax07 and analog desk, can any of these things be used as the audio interface?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but these are important factors for me, any help much appreciated.

Peace
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:20 am

Q: How good is the response, when cutting, does the sound break down digitally (i.e when you move the record fast/slow)?
The Ms Pinky vinyl/CD control responds very realistically to all kinds of record/CDJ movements....fast, slow, whatever. With a suitable low-latency audio converter (we highly recommend the M-Audio Conectiv) you will not notice the latency. As you may or may not know, Ms Pinky's vinyl/CD control technology has been adopted by M-Audio for use in their "Synchroscience" line of products. The "Torq" application, which comes for free when you buy the Conectiv interface, can be controlled with Ms Pinky vinyl.

Q: How thick are the the mspinky vinyl? Heavy, light?
Our solid black and solid pink vinyl is on the lighter side. The pink is especially nice for scratching. Quite light, and very smooth on the slipmat. The split-color (half-n-half) vinyl is a bit heavier. More for club mixing.

Q: How long do they last using shure m447 carts?
In general, the Ms Pinky vinyl lasts a very long time. But that of course depends on your usage habits. I have vinyl that I've used for over a year and it still works fine. And I do scratch the hell out of it.... :wink:
The reason it can last long is that the control signal only occupies the frequency range up to about 3000 Hertz (cycles-per-second). On a normal music record, you have recorded material all the way up to 10,000 or 15,000 Hertz. Since the frequency content of the Ms Pinky control signal is generally lower than the frequency content of musical material, it can afford to be scratched (worn) quite a bit more without suffering the same losss of fidelity.

Q: Does it have to be used with max/msp or can it be used as a standalone unit, with the option of recording into Logic 7.2 (intel)?
As we make very clear elsewhere on the website, you DO NOT have to own a copy of Max/MSP to use Ms Pinky. It can function completely standalone. If you want to use the plugin version (for example inside Logic/Ableton/whatever) you just have to download the free "runtime" version of Pluggo from cycling74.com.

Q: I have a edirol 66 soundcard, vestax07 and analog desk, can any of these things be used as the audio interface?
I've never tested ms pinky with the edirol-66. I know it works great with the Edirol-FA-101. At any rate, with the edirol-66 you're going to need some extra phono preamps to drive the line-level inputs (unless your decks have line-level outputs). So I'd recommend that you get the M-Audio Conectiv as your audio interface because it's designed to accept direct turntable connection.