Switching control vinyl and real vinyl

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
xay
Switching control vinyl and real vinyl

Post by xay » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:37 pm

Hi not sure if i posted in the right place.
anyway my question is that how can I switch from using Mspinky vinyl control to the real vinyl record?.
ofcourse i want to know the alternative way instead of manually rewire the cable.
Im not sure if there's any automatic detect by the software or not?

Im posting this question as I already have ordered and still waiting for Mspinky vinyl and M audio conective, just so that I know in advance how to to that.

thanks! :roll: :roll:
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Two big knobs on the front of the Conectiv

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:05 pm

With the Conectiv, it's unbelievably easy to intermingle digital vinyl with normal music vinyl. :lol: All you have to do is turn those big knobs on the front. When turned all the way to the left (counter-clockwise), you get direct signal from the turntable. When turned all te way to the right (clockwise) you get direct signal from the USB output channels. So, when you want to play normal music vinyl, just turn the knob that corresponds to the channel you have your turntable plugged into all the way to the left (counter-clockwise). Then when you're ready to mix digitally again, just turn the knob back to the right. Too easy!!
xay

Post by xay » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:31 am

That s sound awsome and easy to follow
thank you very much for your help
cant wait to start mixing
:P :P
Orge

Post by Orge » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:14 am

Alternatively, if you had switchable inputs on your mixer you could use a splitter to route the output of your decks to one of the other inputs.

This is somewhat dependent on the decks and mixer, as you would have to match the inputs up (phone/line). My decks (STR8-150s) have seperate digital and analogue outputs (switchable to line or phono), so I can route the digital outputs to my soundcard (for ms pinky) and the others through my mixer.

The advantage of this technique is that it completely removes any of the other hardware from the system - would the connectiv still route audio if its PSU went or it crashed?

J
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:42 am

If you're running the Conectiv off an external (wall-wart) 9V power supply, then it will continue to pass the direct feed audio through even if you disconnect from the host, or the host dies/crashes/whatever. The direct feed signal path is analog circuitry, not affected by anything on the host computer.

In bus-powered mode, it still feeds the direct signal through if the application crashes, but obviously the unit needs to be connected to a live USB port in order to have any juice.
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:42 am

Hello all, didn't want to start a new topic since this is pretty on topic.

Before any questions, some specs:

(have)
MBP 2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2 Gb of RAM
Ableton Live 6.0.7
2 Technics 1200 M3Ds
Rane Empath

(buying)
Novation Remote SL 25
Motu Ultralite
Preamps (haven’t decided, leaning toward Behringer since they’re cheap, unless someone has any horror stories about them)
And of course, Ms. Pinky

I’m looking to putting together something similar to DJ Daito Manabe’s set up, but am unclear on the best way to route everything so as to still be able to play real vinyl without having to physically re-route wires.

Can I split the output from the 1200s, and send a signal directly to the mixer (to the phono input for regular vinyl), and then also send signal through the preamp to the ultralite, then to the mixer (line input, is this right?) for Ms. Pinky’s signal? Seems to be similar to what Orge is saying above, but I’m not 100% sure.

I know this isn’t a problem with the Connectiv, or other DJ-centric interfaces, but I’m looking at the Motu for both the MIDI input and to add a guitar and/or vocalist to the set up at times, so the extra ins/outs are needed. And I haven’t seen any preamps that split the signal or are set up for pass through of a straight phono signal.

Thanks, any help is appreciated, kind of my last issue before I finally buy everything and put this together.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:00 am

kbooms1w wrote: Before any questions, some specs:

(have)
MBP 2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2 Gb of RAM
Ableton Live 6.0.7
2 Technics 1200 M3Ds
Rane Empath

(buying)
Novation Remote SL 25
Motu Ultralite
Preamps (haven’t decided, leaning toward Behringer since they’re cheap, unless someone has any horror stories about them)
And of course, Ms. Pinky

I’m looking to putting together something similar to DJ Daito Manabe’s set up, but am unclear on the best way to route everything so as to still be able to play real vinyl without having to physically re-route wires.

Can I split the output from the 1200s, and send a signal directly to the mixer (to the phono input for regular vinyl), and then also send signal through the preamp to the ultralite, then to the mixer (line input, is this right?) for Ms. Pinky’s signal? Seems to be similar to what Orge is saying above, but I’m not 100% sure.

I know this isn’t a problem with the Connectiv, or other DJ-centric interfaces, but I’m looking at the Motu for both the MIDI input and to add a guitar and/or vocalist to the set up at times, so the extra ins/outs are needed. And I haven’t seen any preamps that split the signal or are set up for pass through of a straight phono signal.

Thanks, any help is appreciated, kind of my last issue before I finally buy everything and put this together.
Since you also want a mic/guitar input in addition to the turntables, I would suggest the new Audio 8 DJ interface from NI. It has the built-in phono preamps for easy turntable connection, and it's also got MIDI and extra analog inputs for mic/guitar. You may be able to jerry-rig something by splitting your signals from the turntables and driving multiple inputs with that (as you described in your proposed setup) but that seems like a lot of hassle.
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:08 am

Thanks for the quick reply, dlpinkstah.

I was looking at the Audio 8 DJ, and it was my first choice, but with the guitar and mic, I wasn't sure if there were enough ins and outs, and if the master out could come from the A8DJ.

I think A8DJ leaves me one "in" short, if I follow Manabe's "template," I would need 10 ins;

Channels A [1/2] and B [3/4] for the TTs,
Ch. C [5/6] for the mic,
Ch. D [7/8] for the guitar,
but I have no Channel “E” to route the mixer output, like Manabe does.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you’re suggesting with the A8DJ, which is highly probable.

One of the things that confused me about Manabe's set up was that he was sending his mixer's output back to the RME, then taking the sound out of the RME to the PA. I thought this created a extra loop which would cause latency, but figured if everything was routed properly in the software, it wouldn't be a problem, but maybe not.

It is a bit of a hassle, but it should be a hassle at the front end, and not so much after that. If it works technically, then I think that’s the set up for me. Guess I’ll find out.

Sorry for the rambling post, I've been DJing for 25 years, but only as a hobby for the last 18-19 or so (kind of backwards, huh), and all this digital stuff is new to me. I've been reading tons of posts to figure this stuff out, but still don’t have it all down.

Appreciate any further suggestions/comments.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:12 am

You could just use (1) channel each for your guitar and mic. You won't really gain anything by recording mic/guitar in stereo anyway. That would then leave you (2) channels of input left over to use as you wish.
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:31 am

Oh yeah (slaps head).

That raises another question. Using the dedicated mic input would effectively use 5/6 in (since the they are both Ch. C with a line/mic switch), so if I used the 5/6 line inputs for the guitar (5) and mic (6), would I have to preamp either of them?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help, and if I can work this out with the A8DJ, that would be great.
Dan

Post by Dan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:42 pm

A little late reply, but anyway! re: splitting turntable output lines, I'm doing exactly using split rca cables. So the turntable is going to both mixer and soundcard, and the line outs on the sound card then go to the mixer line ins.

Works really nice, means the soundcard doesn't need to be on for the turntables to work, and get a free 'pass-thru' option with the line/phono switch on the mixer!