Crossfade scratching

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
cybergenic
Crossfade scratching

Post by cybergenic » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:13 am

g'day, I am using GEN3 Pink Vinyl.
My question relates to scratching with PINK running as a VST in Logic 5.5.1 PC

I only have one turntable and 1 DJ mixer.
Scratch response is very good.
When I move the cross fader from the audible scratch side to the dead silent side the audio file actually stops (pauses) until the crossfader comes back to the active side.
I want to know how I can setup pinky so the audio file continues to play like conventional analog vinyl and keeps playing even when not cued.

Thanks

cd
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Drive the plugin with a straight signal (no cuts!)

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:54 pm

Apparently what you're doing is feeding the input to the Pinky Pluggo VST with a signal which derives from the output of your DJ mixer's crossfader. That's a big problem. Because when your crossfader cuts the signal out, there is NO SIGNAL going into the plugin and therefore it has NO INFORMATION with which to sort out what it calculates as the position and velocity of your stylus tracing the grooves of the Ms Pinky vinyl.

What you need to do is drive the Pinky Pluggo VST with a signal that comes PRE-FADER from your mixer so that it is always uninterrupted, regardless of the crossfader position. How you do this will largely depend on your soundcard and what decks you're using. Please list those here so we can sort out the best solution for you. It may involve inserting an extra phono preamp in between your deck(s) and the input(s) to your audio card.
cybergenic

Post by cybergenic » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:11 am

thanks for this:
My Pinky setup consists of
Omnitronics DD-2250 turntable into PHONO1 of Vestax PMC-05 Pro mixer
Vestax main outs then go directly into INPUT1 + 2 of Roland SI-24
The Roland SI-24 is controlled by Logic 5.5.1 on PC
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:21 am

You should definitely not send the output of the DJ mixer to the inputs of your audio device. You're doing that because you want to make use of the phono preamp in the DJ mixer to bring the signal from the turntable up to line level so it can drive the audio converter inputs. That's not going to work, however, due to the problem you described earlier with the crossfader. So you will probably need to get an additional (external) phono preamp so you can directly send the turntable signal to the audio converter without first going through the DJ mixer. You may be able to drive one of the Hi-Z (Guitar) inputs on your Roland SI24 with the turntable signal, without a phono preamp, but I'm not sure about that.

You should then connect the audio output from the Roland (and from the Pinky Pluggo) back into the LINE inputs on your DJ mixer...