Problem | Ms.Pinky Vinyls on Technics MK2 makes 'piep' x.X

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
skrat.ch
Problem | Ms.Pinky Vinyls on Technics MK2 makes 'piep' x.X

Post by skrat.ch » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:47 pm

:!: Problem:

Running a 4th generation Ms.Pinky Vinyl and/or a Torq Control Ms.Pinky Vinyl on a Technics MK2
Turntable I hear a nonstop 'piep' sound coming from the Turntable itself.

:arrow: Specification of my full setup:

My left Turntable: Technics MK2 (with Ortofon Pro S System) is plugged to a Berhinger PP400
Preamp which is plugged to my M-Audio Quattro USB which is plugged to my Rane TTM56 Mixer.
My right Turntablie: Reloop PR-2000 MK3 (with Ortofon Pro S System) is plugged to a Berhinger
PP400 Preamp which is plugged to my M-Audio Quattro USB which is plugged to my Rane TTM56 Mixer.

The M-Audio Quattro USB is connected to my 12" PowerBook (1,33GHz with 512MB RAM running OSX 10.4.11)
The Rane TTM 56 Mixer is connected to my pair of Genelec 1029A Active Speaker.

:shock: Following setup was tested by myself to define the source of this problem:
  • 1. Technics Turntable is plugged directly to my Mixer = nonstop 'piep'
    2. Technics Turntable is plugged according to the IWS Setup = nonstop 'piep'
    3. Reloop Turntable is plugged directly to my Mixer = nonstop 'monster piep'
    4. Reloop Turntable is plugged according to the IWS Setup = nonstop 'monster piep'
Note: Forget about the Reloop Turntable, as this one sucks even with normal vinyls.

The Technics Turntable running by itself has no problem with normal vinyls and is fully functional.
But using the special Vinyls gives me a super headacke...

:?: Suggestions?

Many thanks. skrat.ch
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:45 pm

The vinyl tracking system works by recording a loud pilot tone + modulated digital information into the wrecked groove. What you're hearing is probably just the sound of the loud pilot tone, which has a frequency of about 1200 Hz and therefore can be heard even when the turntable is not plugged into anything.

For more information on how the vinyl tracking works, and how to solve most common problems you'll have with it, please read this document:

http://www.mspinky.com/Some_Technical_Info_on_VInyl.pdf

However, if you're also hearing the pilot tone through your audio system, then you have something hooked up wrong, or not configured properly. You've probably got something set in the control panel for your Quattro that allows the signal coming from the turntable to feed through directly to the output.

One major problem I can see with your setup is that you're using the M-Audio Quattro, which we can't support or recommend to anyone at this point. It has been supplanted by the far superior Conectiv interface, which we recommend to all users at this point. If you want to continue using the Quattro you're free to try doing so, but you're on your own with that one :wink:
skrat.ch

Post by skrat.ch » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:04 am

Oh…I see. Well I hoped it was something else. But thanks for this informational pdf file you posted.

Why wouldn't you suggest to use the M-Audio Quattro USB? Are there reasons why I should buy the M-Audio Connectiv?

It would help me a lot to have some reasons, because it could convince my 'sponsor'.