General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
uneek
MOTU Ultralite

Post by uneek » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:45 am

Hi Guys!
loving the pinky idea!
just wanted some advice...
i currently have a MBP with ableton 7, and a MOTU Ultralite

what do i need to get setup to use ms pinky?
do i really need a phono preamp?
and what do i do about grounding the turntables?

thanks in advance!

edit : this should prolly be moved to the "General Soundcard/Audio Converter Forum" section ... sorry
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:22 pm

Do your turntables have line-level outputs (e.g. Numark TTX)? If so then you're all set. If not, then you probably will need an extra phono preamp. The mic preamps on the ultralite will probably do the job for one deck, but if you have a second deck, that one will need to have a phono preamp.
uneek

Post by uneek » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:36 pm

turntables are beat up old 1200s...so no phono preamp =(

plus i would be using pinky at different club gigs, so never know what setup they will have.

the ultralite has 2 mic preamps (one in the front! and one in the back) has anyone had any luck using these?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:05 am

I've used an original MOTU 828 (pre-MkII) for about 8 years and never had any problem with it, but I do use extra phono preamps.

For club gigs-- take my advice, you want the smallest, easiest-to-setup audio converter you can get, and that would be the Conectiv. The Ultralite will be great for your home studio, but not so convenient for playing out. That's my 2 cents worth...
uneek

Post by uneek » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:20 am

agreed with the most easy and portable!
so hopefully i can use the 2 mic preamps on the motu... it was bought for live gigs!

what does a "Conectiv" run for? even second hand..