some confusion about mspinky

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
bumblebee
some confusion about mspinky

Post by bumblebee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:58 am

Greetings!

I was hoping that someone here would be able to answer a couple of questions I have about mspinky....

Im currently trying to decide between the following three options:

1 - mspinky with connectiv

2 - mspinky with the stanton final scratch open hardware

3 - serato

but Im having trouble deciding.....

The first thing is, if that Torq software is bundled with the connectiv, what are the advantages of using mspinky? I wont be using it for any video work, but does it run better or have more features or something?

And I see from the forum that the FS hardware works okay with mspinky, but is there any clear advantage with using it? MIDI capability or something?

But I suppose my real confusion about which system to get is based on my pc not being up to scratch (spec below) and me not being very tech savvy. Does mspinky work fine on a pc laptop? I ask because I see that some of the software works on mac only. Also, I'm familiar with music software, but know nothing techical about computers, will that be a problem in setting mspinky up?

Ive got a p4, 3.06 toshiba laptop, with 512 ram (getting upgraded next week to 1gig), not sure about the graphics card, but it wont be anything good.

Would mspinky work okay with this machine?

Also, with the app that runs in ableton (pinkypluggo?), is it possible to do an entire set in ableton using this? If so, what are the drawbacks in using it, for example it doesnt look like you can adjust the speed, but is there anything else?

sorry, loads of questions there in a really jumbled up way.

But - should i get serato, which people say is really reliable and easy to set up, or should i get something which is possibly better but potentially more difficult to configure?

again, apologies for my rambling and thanks in advance for any advice

peace,

BB
Mudo

Re: some confusion about mspinky

Post by Mudo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:42 pm

bumblebee wrote:Greetings!

I was hoping that someone here would be able to answer a couple of questions I have about mspinky....
I will try it.
bumblebee wrote:Im currently trying to decide between the following three options:

1 - mspinky with connectiv

2 - mspinky with the stanton final scratch open hardware

3 - serato

but Im having trouble deciding.....
This is ever the most difficult part.
bumblebee wrote:The first thing is, if that Torq software is bundled with the connectiv, what are the advantages of using mspinky? I wont be using it for any video work, but does it run better or have more features or something?
Torq is easy plug&play closed system. Ms Pinky is the most featured advance Digital Vinyl System and the only which share the Software Developer Kit make her COMPATIBLE and expandible in some many ways... take a look at "other Applications running Ms. Pinky vinyl)

And purchasing Ms. Pinky you get an VST and VIDEO for the same price (serato SL is sold apart)

bumblebee wrote:And I see from the forum that the FS hardware works okay with mspinky, but is there any clear advantage with using it? MIDI capability or something?
FS hardware is a bit chunky but firewire and MIDI (this is the really KEY) are good adds to DVS system. Try it before purchase...
bumblebee wrote:But I suppose my real confusion about which system to get is based on my pc not being up to scratch (spec below) and me not being very tech savvy. Does mspinky work fine on a pc laptop? I ask because I see that some of the software works on mac only. Also, I'm familiar with music software, but know nothing techical about computers, will that be a problem in setting mspinky up?
Ms. Pinky is maybe a bit difficult to install against closed solutions but every version becomes more afordable and estable. Pinky VST is the most easy of all, only calibration will be some tech... but I think you could learn the basics without too problems... but Torq is there!

Serato is maybe easiest and stable but is so closed too and expensive (and less featured... maybe this namm become better or just as price)
bumblebee wrote:Ive got a p4, 3.06 toshiba laptop, with 512 ram (getting upgraded next week to 1gig), not sure about the graphics card, but it wont be anything good.

Would mspinky work okay with this machine?
Yes.
bumblebee wrote:Also, with the app that runs in ableton (pinkypluggo?), is it possible to do an entire set in ableton using this? If so, what are the drawbacks in using it, for example it doesnt look like you can adjust the speed, but is there anything else?
PinkyVST and now Maxipatch audio are the better combination to control Live as MEGATURNTABLE.
Drawbacks? of course, She is the first to dance with Ableton but... maybe Ableton could get some Dancing lessons...

bumblebee wrote:sorry, loads of questions there in a really jumbled up way.
Don't worry. Try the other solutions before purchasing. Try Torq too and look at Youtube or Google for PinkyVST reviews.
bumblebee wrote:But - should i get serato, which people say is really reliable and easy to set up, or should i get something which is possibly better but potentially more difficult to configure?
Serato is an standard like technics. Expensive and stable as. Nothing more.
I prefer Numark or Vestax and Ms. Pinky or Torq and experimentation (and make betatesting and support for get her best solution.)

cagain, apologies for my rambling and thanks in advance for any advice[/quote]

Don't worry, we are a friendship good listening community.
bumblebee wrote:peace,

BB
U2 Brother!

Mudo

;)

PD: If you are planning to do money dj at clubs purchase Serato but first purchase one Macbook. PCs are the bad part of this system (DVS).

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks, theres a lot of information there to think about.

I'm really interested in the extra features on mspinky, for example I think that I saw somewhere that you can control the filter q with the vinyl as you scratch - are there any online docs that I can check out that would give me some information on this?

Thanks again,

Bb
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:53 pm

I think I've decided (drum roll....) to go with torq and mspinky.

Im really excited now :D going to order it tonight, but it could take a long time to arrive as I live in the uk, but it'll be something to look forward to.

cheers for your help Mudo, I'll be back to let you know how I get on :)

peace
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Shipping to the UK is fast!

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:21 pm

Shipping times to the UK are remarkably fast. We use USPS Express International and sometimes packages get there in 3 days, usually no more than 1 week.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 pm

Be patient but we are here to help you.

The latest version of maxipatch and pinkyvst are truly easy to set up.

Thanks to you for supporting Ms. Pinky.

Mudo means mute person.

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:19 am

cool, ill be back here with numerous questions in a week or so then :)

all the best,

Bb
bumblebee

woop!

Post by bumblebee » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:32 am

woohoo, it got here this morning :D had to come to work, and cant really concentrate now, but will let you know how I get on.

compliments on the packaging :D

will probably post later if im not too busy with the musics :D

BB
Ezmyrelda

Post by Ezmyrelda » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:04 pm

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you will find that the product is absolutely worth every penny and more. I'm a bit biased (testing privilege) but Deckadance is a great marriage with Ms.Pinky. Native support plus its basically as open as the pink so it has worked flawlessly from what I've seen.

To hopefully save you a bit of time in Torq, select 3rd gen.

In a deckadance demo select 4th gen and if it sounds funny set the table to 0 pitch and press learn timecode on 45 rpm. You'll be right as rain.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:45 pm

um, I cant get it to work yet :-/

I tried pinky vst in ableton, but I cant get any signal coming in and nothing playing out either. It wont even let me press play using the mouse, it that normal?

I also tried maxi patch AO, but when i double click on the black circle to load it up, i get the following message -

this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

ive reinstalled it a couple of times, but no luck. i cant see a read me file anywhere for the maxi patch, should i be able to?

any advice would be greatly appreciated,
cheers,

Bb
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:49 pm

Start from the end.

Install maxmsp externals.

About Pinkyvst you must set the treshold about 10dbs and error metric around 1.0. I'm suposing you are setting up correctly in/outs in Live.

Try this.

;)

Mudo means mute person.

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Mudo wrote:...
Start from the end.

Install maxmsp externals.

About Pinkyvst you must set the treshold about 10dbs and error metric around 1.0. I'm suposing you are setting up correctly in/outs in Live.

Try this.

;)

Hi Mudo,
thanks, Pinky vst is working now - just about to have a proper go with it :)

but - what are maxmsp externals?

thanks again,

Bb
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:14 pm

Bumblebee-- please read this post. Very important:

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=813

That should enable you to launch the Maxi-Patch app.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:20 am

that did it :)

Im currently working through the 'first steps with mspinky' section... and guess what, Ive got another problem :-)

I think that everything is as it should be in the audio section, but I cant seem to drag and drop sound files into the audio file player.

Also, I cant see any options for left or right playback like I can see on the tutorial, but Im guessing that might be a difference between the Mac and PC version?

Any ideas of how to drag my files in?

Thnx,

Bb