Problems :( Help please

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
shoebag
Problems :( Help please

Post by shoebag » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:21 am

Hi,

Got my Ms. Pinky today :) having trouble setting it up though.
My current set up:
Turntable --> Alesis iO26 Soundcard (with built in phono amp) --> Macbook -- > Soundcard --> Headphones

The symptoms:
Im am getting an input from the vinyl as it shows it on the level meters, however, there seems to be no output, and the picture of the vinyl is not rotating.
It is definitly not the soundcard as i can play itunes or logic or whatever through it no probs, this leads me to think that somehow the software is not recognising the vinyl somehow.
I tried setting up the audio settings
Driver: Core Audio Alesis Firewire
Input: Alesis Firewire
Output: There was no option for this, so it stayed blank

Please help!
Thanks
shoebag

Post by shoebag » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Hello again,

An update:

I have Pinky VST working under Logic 8 now :)

No luck when i try Maxi-patch AUDIO ONLY, still the same; however, when i use Maxi-patch A+V i get and input on my levels and the pic of the vinyl is rotating :) but still no output.

I am increasingly thinking that maxi-patch doesn't recognise my soundcars outputs :S partly because PinkyVST works in Logic, and partly because i still can't select an output destination.

Here is a pic of the audio settings:

As i said it is all definatley coming through ok, just a problem at the output stage,

Thanks
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:44 pm

Hit the "I/O Mappings" button near the bottom of the audio settings window. Please post a picture of what you see in the "I/O Mappings" pop-up window.
shoebag

Post by shoebag » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:50 pm

Ok here it is:

Also i have just found that if i select Audio Thru (in the part where you choose file loop, file reverse, fat resample etc) i can here the wierd digital noises, but the no sounds when i deactivate 'audio thru'

thanks
shoebag

Post by shoebag » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:22 pm

Ok, New update....

I have managed to get some output now, it turns out the mp3 i was trying to use wouldnt work :S i dont see why though as it plays fine in quicktime or whatever....

BUT new problem now... when i play a file its has a lot of tiny little cut outs in it, almost like an extremely fast gating or slight noise, however this is only when in absolute mode. If i pick relative mode then it stops :S any ideas as to what this could be?

Also what are the actual benefits of absolute compared to relative?

Sorry for all these questions....
Thanks
shoebag

Post by shoebag » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi,

After reading about the differences between absolute and relative, i think it may be caused by the fact that at the moment i am using my dads old turntable (not a DJ TT just like a record player lol), could this be a reason? i will let you know how it is going next week when my TT500s arrive :)

Thanks
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:48 am

Ms Pinky does require a reasonably high-quality DJ turntable + phono cartridge + needle in order to work properly. Your dad's old turntable might not cut it. Please refer to the "Quick_Start.pdf" file that is included in the downloaded folder with maxi-patch. Read and study that carefully. Particularly, you should have read section 4 "Turntable Signal Quality (the Error Metric)". If the audio signal from your Ms Pinky vinyl is properly adjusted and routed into the software, you will observe a range of "error metric" values between about [0.01 ..... 0.35]. Anything outside that range indicates some problem with the signal. So what is the range of "error metric" values that you're observing?
shoebag

Post by shoebag » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:41 am

Hi,

Yeh i have upgraded my tables now and everything seems to be working except absolute mode still. The error metric is mostly below 0.35 but will occassionly go up to 0.40, i have tried cleaning the stylus and vinyl

Thanks
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:48 am

Could you post a screenshot showing the "vinyl/CD control" tabbed view in Maxi-Patch as it appears with the ms Pinky disc playing on your turntable in absolute mode? I want to see what your input signal levels are and the error metric values.
djnelson

Post by djnelson » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Quick way to get those error metric levels down is to adjust the weight on the tone arm to the stylus specifications. This worked for me just last night where my error metric was around 4 - 6 and more sometimes.

How I adjust my stylus:
  • Get the arm to balance off the vinyl with out help of your hand to keep it steady.

Set the dial on the tone arm to 0 and adjust to the stylus recommended weight, think usually 2.5 grams.

Adjust your anti skate to match this weight, e.g. 2.5 grams = 2.5 on anti skate.
I hope that helps you :D