Please explain I/O Vector Size and Signal Vector Size

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
djnelson
Please explain I/O Vector Size and Signal Vector Size

Post by djnelson » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:17 pm

What Is I/O Vector Size and Signal Vector Size? And what are good values to use?

From what I see I/O Vector Size gets set to the Latency setting of my Conectiv sound card. In the settings panel for the latency it explains that a lower value is better and more accurate. Is this the same for the signal vector size?

Thanks
Nelson
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:14 am

I/O Vector size is the number of samples in each vector (or group) of audio samples that are received from the audio device inputs and then sent out to the audio device outputs. Signal Vector size is then some number of samples less than or equal to I/O Vector Size and determines the number of audio samples that are processed at a time by each internal audio processing object in Maxi-Patch. Both I/O Vector Size and Signal Vector Size are very important in determining the overall latency of the vinyl scratching. In general, to keep latency to a minimum, you want to set both I/O Vector Size and Signal Vector Size as low as possible. However, setting these values too low can cause hiccups and dropouts in the audio because the processor must spend too much time with function calling overhead, and doesn't have enough time left over to process samples. In practice it is good to keep both I/O Vector Size and Signal Vector Size set to something in the range of 64 or 128.
Last edited by dlpinkstah on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djnelson

Post by djnelson » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:29 am

Ok thanks that answers my question.