Feature Request...should be EASY. PLEASE

General and Miscellaneous Topics regarding MsPinky
trypset
Feature Request...should be EASY. PLEASE

Post by trypset » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:38 am

So, I love that MAXI A/O can send a stable, accurate MIDI timecode out. This works great when using timecode and media off the comp.

Is there anyway you could take just this piece of the software and make it into a VST? This would allow me to spin regular records, have this piece of the software decode the BPM and send out to Ableton.

It doesn't seem like this would be a hard thing to do seeing as how it has already been done in MAXI A/O. Would this be possible? I'd pay for a VST that can read incoming audios BPM and send MIDI timecode out. PLEASE!

Ableton syncing to a regular vinyl set FTW!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Use Max For Live!

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:42 am

Unfortunately, it won't be as easy as you might think to add a very solid MIDI beat clock output to Pinky VST. The reason the MIDI beat clock output works as well in Maxi-Patch _ AO/AV as it does is because Max (Cycling-'74) has been doing MIDI I/O for at least 20 years and they really have that dialed in. The Pinky VST, on the other hand, is not based on Max. It's built on the JUCE libraries (rawmaterialsoftware.com), which also have MIDI I/O capabilities, but unfortunately they're not as stable as they need to be for me to release code based on that, especially not for the MIDI beat clock output. Believe me, I tried to get that working, no dice.... :cry:

So-- for now-- if you really want a good solid MIDI beat clock output from a plugin in Ableton, I very highly recommend that you dive into Max For Live. It will give you all the solid MIDI I/O features of Max, plus the integration with Ableton, and of course Ms Pinky turntable control. You won't find anything better suited to what I think you're aiming to accomplish.
trypset

Post by trypset » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:04 pm

thanks so much. I have gotten 10 times my moneys worth out of your product already. Not to mention you offer the best support forum I've vistited to date. You make me have faith that there are still people making things for others for the right reasons and not money. Thanks for your expert explanation and that makes perfect sense to me.