Ms Pinky releases VST Plugin for OSX and WinXP

Regarding use and development of Ms Pinky's Pluggo Plugin
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
Ms Pinky releases VST Plugin for OSX and WinXP

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:12 pm

Ms Pinky is proud to announce "Pinky Pluggo", the (beta) release of her amazing new VST-compatible plugin for WinXP and OSX!

This handy plugin is based on the popular Pluggo technology from cycling74.com, and enables convenient vinyl-controlled audio file scratching and playback within any VST-compatible host session running under WinXP or OSX.

If you're running OSX, you can also create an Audio Unit version of Ms Pinky's Plugin using the Pluggo Audio Unit scanner (included in the download of Pluggo).

"Pinky Pluggo" is available as a free download for members of Ms Pinky's Fan Club.

Requires Pluggo version 3.5.3 or later. Not to worry, you don't have to purchase Pluggo in order to use Ms Pinky's Plugin. You simply have to install the free runtime version of Pluggo which you can get from cycling74.com.
Last edited by dlpinkstah on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
djone37

Post by djone37 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:21 pm

I'll test it out as soon as exams are done! I'll report any bugs I find ;-)
Pesto

Whoo hoo - what a pleasure!

Post by Pesto » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:37 pm

Hey all,

the plugin works superb here! Actually, we are just working on the upcoming Bar1 mix compilation and this comes in very handy! :D

I fiddled around with it a bit and it seems to be quite stable on Logic Pro 6.4 on 10.3.9. Card used is an RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

Also had to run Pluggo's AU Scan - absolutely flawless!

The only thing that does not seem to work as expected (at least under my conditions) is the waveform display. But I might just be too impatient and too excited about the plugin that I missed something.

And by the way, I love Waves' MetaFlanger in those breaks :wink:

Thanks for making this happen, Pinkstah! Big ups!

Cheers...Jost/Pesto
the continental europe distributor for the gorgeous Missy
tgerdin

Post by tgerdin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:05 pm

Hi,

I tried the plugin with AULab and it seemed to work fine. One minor bug was that (atleast on my box) the entire user interface (the one supplied with the plugin, not the AU generic one) didn't fit in the window view vertically. The (unresizable) window should be about 10 pixels taller I reckon.

Apart from that, I don't really see what this plugin offers since I could just use an app like Sunflower (or Audio Hijack or whatever) to route the outcoming audio to any app. Anyway, works nice so chears!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: Whoo hoo - what a pleasure!

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:08 pm

Pesto wrote:The only thing that does not seem to work as expected (at least under my conditions) is the waveform display. But I might just be too impatient and too excited about the plugin that I missed something.
Ahhhh, yes. The bug is this: the waveform display inside the plugin does not respond to double-clicks! This is kind of a problem, but you can work around it:

1) Instead of doulbe-clicking on the waveform to re-cue the file playback to a new position, try single-click and dragging the cursor on the waveform display. A red indicator line should pop up. When you release the mouse, the file position should re-cue to the point where mouse was released.

2) Instead of shift-double-click to initiate waveform calculation, I've added the option to shift-single-click to initiate waveform calculation.

Hope for now you can work with it without double-click capability.

-DLP
Pesto

Everything runs fine here!

Post by Pesto » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:43 am

Alright, that was just my mistake. Playing around with the plug and it seems to work absolutely perfect! Waveforms is all there - I was just too impatient to mess around with the plug.

Very well done, very much needed, very good!

Thanks a lot! :D

Cheers...Jost/Pesto
Pesto

One more thing...

Post by Pesto » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:24 am

Okay I know, I'm slowly getting on all your nerves with my numerous posts (you may have noticed I'm really excited about this plugin). Sorry in advance for bothering you.

Until short before, I just tested it with one plugin. Now, I tried to set up some mix featuring two plugins and that's what happened (yes, I will describe step by step what I did):

1. Insert the plug in audio track 1.

2. Loaded file.

3. Recorded the timecode for the whole time the track was running.

4. Opened another instance of the plugin on audio track 2 and did the same (loading file, waveform, blah blah)

5. As I just wanted to try some simple beatmatch, I let the first tune run, pitched the second and recorded that timecode onto track 2. No problems

until here.

When I wanted to hear the transition, both files began to stutter, not running in sync at all. I thought I might set my card's latency to some higher value but with the same result. What helped though was when I bypassed one of the plugin's instances. The one still being active would run as perfect as before then.

If needed, I can record that output while de-/activating one of the plugs and send that file over. Oh btw, I used 16bits 44.1kHz AIFF files made with Peak.

I don't have the chance to test this with a VST host as I only run Logic here, but maybe this has to do something with the VST->AU conversion instead of being something wrong with the plugged Missy (wow...that sounds nasty now :wink: ).

Nighty guys...Jost/Pesto

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:10 am

works great here (so far!)... congratulations on your port to VST!

In fact, I've just started using ms pinky and I find it much easier to set up in my sequencer than using Maxi Patch :)
john sweet

Post by john sweet » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:53 pm

So Pesto is using it to mix--how is everyone else primarily using it? Does it hold up for turntablist-type antics, too? I'm dying for a VST/AU that can begin to match the turntable emulation of CDJs inside of Ableton Live. I can't find any demo movs/mp3s anywhere, & there's still very little written about this÷ is that because it doesn't deserve attention, or is this really as good as it could be?
TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:59 am

Wow.. well done.

Loading an instance of the pinky plugin takes about 3 seconds compared to loading big fat ugly maxipatch which takes almost 30 (including its splach screens & changing its UI color scheme 4 times every startup) on my machine!

No longer do I have to shut down ableton live and load maxi during a set to use pinky for scratching which is a dream.

In fact even just mixing with pinky I see no reason to ever use maxi again. Much better is an ableton live set with just 2 audio strips one for each deck. Now you have a faster loading more stable setup with pan,eq & vst effects available for each deck. Also using ableton's crossfader via midi I don't even need the dj mixer anymore. Ok so the filelist isn't there but at least I know exaclly where the next song is going. Too many times that filelist has made me look bad when I accidently (..after a few pints..) load a new song onto the deck that already playing.Nice.

Also in the studio I can now record my pinky scratches straight into logic without needing a seperate machine.

Nice one. Pinky should have been this way from the start.
john sweet

Post by john sweet » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:45 pm

TequilaKez - How does Pinky sound when u scratch with it? I assume it can handle baby scratches etc., but what happens when you do try less conventional stuff? Does it really "feel" and sound close to vinyl?
TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:07 am

If you have new vinyl and you can get your sound card down to below 5ms latency (I have mine set to 2) I dont see much difference between pinky and real vinyl (especially if you have sampled you audio from vinyl). As you would know the most intricate part of scratching is done on the mixer which is still hardware and even if there is a very small latency you'll find your ear will compensate for it very quickly. I have noticed that the volume seems to get alot louder the faster you move the vinyl which is a little strange. This effect can be noticed with real vinyl aswell but it seems to be accentuated with pinky.

Other than that it's great.