I know this isn't how your supposed to use it but...

Regarding use and development of Ms Pinky's Pluggo Plugin
Jeffason
I know this isn't how your supposed to use it but...

Post by Jeffason » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:27 am

OK actually this is a two parter...

What is the difference between the different vinyls i recieved? Some have like different "tracks" on the vinyl but it doesnt appear to affect playback...while others are just one big track

OK THE MAIN QUESTION:

So we're supposed to have the turntable be connected to an amp, then into the software, take the audio back out and do our cuts with our mixer. This sounds fine, but with "absolute" mode, shouldnt I be able to make cuts to the vinyl singal going into the software and have it behave the same way?

I find that it does work, sometimes, but then it doesnt appear to follow the "absolute" mode rules at all, different parts of the vinyl are playing different parts of the sample than when I start it from the beginning. Know what I'm sayin?

Please shed some light on the subject.

Jeffason
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: I know this isn't how your supposed to use it but...

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:45 pm

Jeffason wrote:What is the difference between the different vinyls i recieved? Some have like different "tracks" on the vinyl but it doesnt appear to affect playback...while others are just one big track
Good question. Actually, all Ms Pinky vinyls have just one single track on each side. When you look at the sides that have what looks like 13 short tracks what you're actually seeing is just (1) single track that plays continuously for 12 minutes and 40 seconds at 33-1/3 rpm. The reason we cut the record that way is so that you will have some visual indication of playback time in the track that you are controlling. The visible gaps between the 13 short tracks indicate 1.00 minute intervals, assuming a perfect playback speed of 33-1/3 rpm. These visible 1.00 minute markers on the surface of the vinyl facilitate cueing. Say you want to cue up a track to a break that occurs at exactly the 3.00 minute marker. All you have to do us count out 3 of those visible bands and put the needle down between the 3rd and 4th "track" on the record.

Jeffason wrote:So we're supposed to have the turntable be connected to an amp, then into the software, take the audio back out and do our cuts with our mixer. This sounds fine, but with "absolute" mode, shouldnt I be able to make cuts to the vinyl singal going into the software and have it behave the same way?

I find that it does work, sometimes, but then it doesnt appear to follow the "absolute" mode rules at all, different parts of the vinyl are playing different parts of the sample than when I start it from the beginning. Know what I'm sayin?
I do see what you're saying here, but unfortunately it won't work that way. If you apply crossfader articulation (cutting) to the signal coming str8 from the vinyl, you are actually just interrupting the Ms Pinky control signal and making it impossible for her to correctly track the vinyl movements. Ms Pinky requires a pure, uninterrupted signal from her vinyl in order to work properly. Cutting on the vinyl signal may yield some fun and unexpected results, but keep in mind that this is not the intended way to use it.
Jeffason

Post by Jeffason » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:00 am

oh well :D thanks for the insight, i just dont understand how the software works I guess because wouldn't it be just like picking up the needle and dropping it somehwere else?