Problem configuring Pinky Pluggo Ableton Live

Regarding use and development of Ms Pinky's Pluggo Plugin
brianc
Problem configuring Pinky Pluggo Ableton Live

Post by brianc » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:53 am

I've run into problems using two instances of Pinky Pluggo 1.0 in Live 6.0.1. Here is my setup:

* Macbook Pro 1.8 GHz, 2 GB ram
* Stanton Final Scratch Scratch Amp 2
* OS X 10.4.8
* Pluggo 3.6.1
* 4th gen vinyl

I've had no problems using Binky Toy, with the first turntable using ins 1 and 2 and outs 1 and 2, and the second turntable using ins/outs 3 and 4.

So I start up a new Live session, create an audio track, and drop in the Pinky Pluggo. I configure the track to use ins/outs 1 and two, the track monitor to "on", and PP to use the 4th gen vinyl. It works well. The error metric is usually about 0.05 to 0.06.

I do essentially the same setup for the second instance, but I use ins/outs 3 and 4. Just adding this instance makes the output from the first one sound really bad-- muddy and distorted. No audio is never received by the mixer for this channel. Now if I only have one instance of the VST open and configure it to use channels 3 and 4 for in/out, it works just fine.

Also, no other programs are running, and the load on the machine is usually no more than 12%. Live has the buffer size set at 512 samples and no error compensation.

Any ideas?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Thanks for the thorough report

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:46 am

Hi Brianc,

Thanks for your very thorough, clear, and concise report regarding this problem with FS2 scratch amp, Ms Pinky, and Ableton Live.

I've done some tests with the following setup:

1) Macbook Pro 2.0 GHz, 2.0 Gig RAM
2) OSX 10.4.8
3) Ableton Live 6.0.1
4) Pluggo 3.6.1
5) M-Audio Conectiv
6) Gen4 Ms Pinky vinyl.

With this hardware, I get what I would call perfect performance when mixing with two instances of the Pinky Pluggo each assigned to separate audio tracks in Ableton, where the I/O of each audio track is taken serially from all (4) available ins/outs of the Conectiv. The two instances both track and play just as expected, and don't interfere with each other.

I also tested the same software and computer, but with the MOTU 828 substituted for the Conectiv. Again, perfect.

I actually have an FS2 scratch amp here, but was unable to get it to work at all with my Macbook because I couldn't find any UB-compatible drivers online for it. The last time I'd used my FS2 was with my old G4 Powerbook, and it seemed to work fine with that. The FS website seems to say that FS is not yet compatible at all with Intel macs. Have you found Intel-compatible OSX drivers for the FS2 box? I take it you have.
brianc

Re: Thanks for the thorough report

Post by brianc » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:26 pm

Have you found Intel-compatible OSX drivers for the FS2 box? I take it you have.
Actually, I was a bit surprised it worked as well. I was thinking it wouldn't work, but I tested it out just for fun, and it showed up. I doubt it, but I'm wondering if this is because I installed Traktor 3 a while ago to see if I could get it to work.

I received a private message from EZ about this, and he suggested I create two return tracks, and have one of them send to Audio 1 (the track with my first instance of the plugin) and the other one to Audio 2 (the second). Although neither audio tracks is sending anything to the return tracks, and both of their I/Os are configured to use the SA2, this actually fixed my problem, although I have no idea why it would. When I delete or re-route the return tracks, the problems return.