Pinky Pluggo, version 1.6 beta for OSX: Per-Instance Saving

Regarding use and development of Ms Pinky's Pluggo Plugin
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
Pinky Pluggo, version 1.6 beta for OSX: Per-Instance Saving

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:21 am

Version 1.6 (beta) of the Pinky Pluggo for OSX is now available as a free download to all fanclub members. This new version features (2) important new features, neither of which are "visible" in the GUI:

1) Filename and Root Folder name are now saved on a per-instance basis. The method we used before to save the file and root folder names was quite buggy, and did not do a real "per-instance" unique save/restore of this information. We believe that has been fixed. The way the file and root folder names are now saved is by converting the characters in the names into numbers and then poking those into a large number of hidden parameters that then get saved with each instance when you save a session/set in your host program. If you look at the parameter (non-interface) view you'll see that starting at about parameter #26 there a couple hundred new parameters. You should never touch these.

2) There are some new parameters that you can (and should!) touch. These are parameters 21 - 24 and they are for mapping MIDI notes to the incrementing and decrementing of the scrolling functions in the folder and file list views. Having these mapped to MIDI notes can really speed up the file/folder browsing and make it a lot more fun.

Hope ya like it! :wink:

P.S. This is still kinda "beta" software, so please bear with us while we work out a few bugs.
brock

Post by brock » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:12 am

hope the bugs are getting sorted. not that I've heard of any bugs....

I just want the PC version!

:)
kbooms1w

Re: Pinky Pluggo, version 1.6 beta for OSX: Per-Instance Sav

Post by kbooms1w » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:16 am

dlpinkstah wrote:

2) There are some new parameters that you can (and should!) touch. These are parameters 21 - 24 and they are for mapping MIDI notes to the incrementing and decrementing of the scrolling functions in the folder and file list views. Having these mapped to MIDI notes can really speed up the file/folder browsing and make it a lot more fun.

Hope ya like it! :wink:
Loving it, thanks. I've been able to map numerous functions to my Remote SL (play, loop, audio thru, file and folder up/down, etc), but for some reason, the "load" parameter isn't working. It takes the assignment, and the parameter moves when the signal is sent, but the file doesn't load.

Is there any special type of MIDI signal that particular parameter needs (or am I just screwing something up again, which is very likely)? I've tried all the variations of the CC type (momentary, toggle, normal), and tried a few MMCs, but nothing seems to work. Any help is appreciated, if I can just get that working, shouldn't ever need to touch the computer when running PP.

The other thing I noticed is when the PP window is open, the pitch parameter "flickers" and doesn't respond to the encoder assigned to it (you can see it moving, but it just continues to "flicker" and doesn't register the command), but if the window is closed, it works as it should. Not a big deal, maybe I just have something set wrong again.

Thanks again.
MBP 15" 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2G ram
OS 10.4.11
Live 6.0.7
PinkyVST 1.7 beta
Pinky Pluggo 1.6, Pluggo Runtime 3.6.1

NI Audio 8 DJ
Novation Remote SL 25

2 Technics 1200 M3D
Ortofon Q-bert cartridges
Rane Empath
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:32 am

Hey kbooms,

Thanks for another excellent post!

Other readers take note-- this is how you should post problem reports. Very thorough yet concise description of the problem, and your system parameters, and a nice overall tone.

Now to the problem: I'm sorry to have to say this, but the file loading function has been intentionally disconnected from a MIDI trigger of any kind. The reason is that there was mucho inexplicable crashing of Live when I tested this. :cry: I still have not been able to get to the bottom of that issue, so for now I'm afraid file loading will have to be done with a good ole' fashioned point-n-click. Sometime in the next couple of months we will probably see a completely new version of Maxi-Patch and Pinky Pluggo with the advent of a revolutionary new release of Max/MSP (cycling74.com), and hopefully with that we'll be able to introduce the MIDI-mappable file loader....

As far as the pitch flickering... that is another very weird and complex problem rooted in Max/MSP abnormalities which I have little power to fix... please bear with.
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:00 pm

Cool, thanks.

I'm sure the new build of Ms. Pinky will be even better, hope you can figure that out. Wish I could help, but it's all over my head.

Thanks again.
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:52 am

Just to follow up on the pitch "flicker," I just noticed that if the Cutoff Sharpness is at 1.3 or above, the pitch is steady, but below 1.3, it starts flickering.

I know it's a MaxMSP thing, but just thought I'd pass it on, seemed a little odd.