Sound is garbled using Pinky Pluggo with Ableton Live

Regarding use and development of Ms Pinky's Pluggo Plugin
dfdnatural
Sound is garbled using Pinky Pluggo with Ableton Live

Post by dfdnatural » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:28 am

Hi There,

I am trying to get Pinky Pluggo working with Ableton Live, using Connectiv as the audio interface. I've consulted the manual and I believe I've setup everything correctly, but when I try to use it the sound comes out garbled. I can sort of hear the MP3 that I am playing, but there is a bunch of static-y noise and the speed of playback is inconsistent (the black dot representing the needle position seems to jitter around as it moves in a circle).

To setup Pinky Pluggo, I followed these instructions:
http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=559

"Audio Input" in Ableton Live is set to the Connectiv, Audio Ouput is "Built-in Output."

Both Torq and BinkyToy_UBX are working fine.

Setup:

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
Connectiv
Ableton Live 6.0.7
Torq Vinyl
OS X 10.4.10
Pluggo 3.6.1

Screenshots are below that show the Pinky Pluggo setup with one audio input running (i.e. one of the turntables is playing a Torq vinyl). Sorry about the large image sizes, but I thought it was important to show detail.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance for any help!!! The plugin looks fantastic, I can't wait to get it working!

Image[/img]
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

audio I/O buffer size?

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:47 am

What is your audio buffer size setting in Ableton? Go under Preferences-->Audio-->Latency-->Buffer Size??? If it's too small, it could cause garbled sound....... :cry:
dfdnatural

Tried upping the buffer sizes without success

Post by dfdnatural » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi dlpinkstah,

My Audio Buffer was at the default of 512 Samples. I tried upping it to 1253 Samples, so my settings read as follows:

1253 Samples
Input Latency 32.5ms
Output Latency 32.5ms

But it didn't seem to make any difference. Any more ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
-Dfd
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:00 pm

Try buffer size of something between 128 and 256 samples. That's what I normally use.
dfdnatural

Progress made

Post by dfdnatural » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Hi again,

Just letting you know that I tested it some more and I have now determined that it is related to having two the plugins running at once (if I remove one of them, the problem disappears.) I'll test it more thoroughly when I get a chance, but progress is being made!

-Dfd
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:37 am

Any more info on this, I'm having the same exact problem, and the same exact results, everything is fine with only 1 PP running. Is this just the way it is?

Have newest PP and Pluggo runtime.

MBP 2.16 with 2G memory, OS 10.4.11
Audio 8 DJ
Live 6.0.7
Gen 4 vinyl

Binky and Maxi Patch work fine.

Thanks
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:28 pm

No, that is not the way it should be. You should be able to run more instances than just 1 without any problem. I have a very similar system (only difference being that I´m using a Conectiv interface) and it works perfectly in my testing.

OK, kbooms, can you please post screen shots showing both views of the PP interface for both of the instances you´re running?

And what else are you running in the session when the problem occurs?
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:23 am

Just got done re-reading stuff, hoping I could find if I was missing something, which I probably am.

Everything’s fine until I drop a second PP on to channel 2, don’t even have to open it or load anything, just as soon as it’s dragged over, the sound goes bad, the error metric goes nuts, I can still hear the music, but it is distorted and the tempo varies wildly.

I also noticed that when something is playing on one channel, I get just a little bit of signal on the other (you can see it on one of the pics) don’t know if that means anything.

Not running anything else in the session, I set it up as a test set for PP only.

Here’s a bunch of pics, hopefully I covered everything (if not, sorry, let me know what you need), and you can see something, I tried to double check myself, it’s probably staring me in the face and I just don’t see it.

Channel 1 solo, everything is fine, (you can see a little bit of signal on channel 2)

Channel 2, solo, everything is fine:

Both channels playing, distorted, Channel 2 window

Both channels playing, distorted, Channel 1 window

Here's the "more" settings, set up the same on both:

Thanks again for your help, I think I'm over my quota for questions already.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Disable Dual Processor support

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:20 am

Do you have Dual-Processor support enabled in Ableton prefs??

If so, please disable it. The current version of Pluggo will not allow proper operation if Dual-Proc. support is enabled in Ableton. :cry:
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:52 am

That did it, thanks.

Is that something that can be incorporated? not trying to be pushy, just asking, loving the Pinky, thanks.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:43 pm

We´ll probably have dual-proc support sometime in 2008. It will largely depend on the engineers at Cycling-´74 http://www.cycling74.com who are responsible for the development of the Pluggo plugin system, which our "Pinky Pluggo" plugin is based on. They have said that dual-proc support will be included in an upcoming release, but no exact date yet.