Pinky pluggo with Ableton 6.0.7 glitches

Regarding use and development of Ms Pinky's Pluggo Plugin
Pands
Pinky pluggo with Ableton 6.0.7 glitches

Post by Pands » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:28 am

After figuring out how to get Pinky Pluggo running as it should in Ableton Live 6.0.7 I've had a few problems pop up randomly as the records play.

A few times I'll be rewinding the record and the audio will become very distorted (it sounds like it's stuck on and looping a very small portion of the track over and over as its being rewound).
This is fixable by selecting one of the drop down menus options under vinyl control - "file loop" or "file reverse" seem to fix it and then it sounds and plays normal again.

Another problem I've found is that when I try to scratch the intro to a track in absolute mode it will jump around about 6 or more seconds in and then if I rewind and start over, I hear a few glitchy sounds and it starts from that point again and I need to mess around with the drop down menu options by selecting (and de-selecting) "file loop" or "file reverse". This only happens in Absolute mode though. There is a chance my needles and tone arm are not configured properly because I know they are a bit wobbly when scratching, but it still seems to be a software problem.

Also sometimes I'll be receiving the vinyl signal fine, but there will be no audio out, or the track wont play. Same fix, messing around with the options like file loop will seem to fix this.

On one occasion something went horribly array and the whole system slowed to a halt. I could not figure out what it was as everything was so slow, the task manager was taking at least a few minutes to show up.

I've only had pinky for a few days and I'm convinced this has been the best choice in time code vinyl, and I've been very happy other then these problems.

Hp Pavilian
2.4 GHz AMD Athlon 64 3800
2Gigs Ram
Windows XP Media center/Service pack 2
MAudio Firewire 1814
Numark TTX Turntables with line output
Ms pinky Gen 4 with latest software
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: Pinky pluggo with Ableton 6.0.7 glitches

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:19 pm

Pands wrote:A few times I'll be rewinding the record and the audio will become very distorted (it sounds like it's stuck on and looping a very small portion of the track over and over as its being rewound).
This is fixable by selecting one of the drop down menus options under vinyl control - "file loop" or "file reverse" seem to fix it and then it sounds and plays normal again.
Does this problem happen with any type of file (.WAV, .AIFF, .MP3)? What format files are you using for your tests?

Another thing that could be causing this is your Audio I/O Latency/Buffer Size settings in Ableton. If you have a very small buffer size, then the CPU can get overtaxed when doing a rapid backspin. Try increasing the Latency/Buffer Size to see if that helps.
Pands wrote: Another problem I've found is that when I try to scratch the intro to a track in absolute mode it will jump around about 6 or more seconds in and then if I rewind and start over, I hear a few glitchy sounds and it starts from that point again and I need to mess around with the drop down menu options by selecting (and de-selecting) "file loop" or "file reverse". This only happens in Absolute mode though. There is a chance my needles and tone arm are not configured properly because I know they are a bit wobbly when scratching, but it still seems to be a software problem.
This sounds like a signal quality problem, more than anything. If the signal from the vinyl is being in any way distorted (by old/dirty needle, by intermittent connection in tonearm, etc.) then the tracking will be wonky. To verify good signal quality, look under the "more settings.." view in the Pinky Pluggo and see what the "Error metric" readings are. You should see "Error metric" readings in the range [0.01 --- 0.4]. If the range is much higher than that, then you've probably got signal quality problems. Another thing to check is the input gain settings on your audio converter. If they're set too high this could also cause clipping/distortion which will also negatively impact tracking performance. So try reducing the input gain settings on your audio converter inputs.
Pands wrote: Also sometimes I'll be receiving the vinyl signal fine, but there will be no audio out, or the track wont play. Same fix, messing around with the options like file loop will seem to fix this.

On one occasion something went horribly array and the whole system slowed to a halt. I could not figure out what it was as everything was so slow, the task manager was taking at least a few minutes to show up.
I think we have some bugs in the "loop" play mode with MP3 files. So if you're playing MP3's, please don't use the "loop" mode option for now.