Post by Pands » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:19 am

Hp Pavilian
2.4 GHz AMD Athlon 64 3800
2Gigs Ram
Windows XP Media center/Service pack 2
MAudio Firewire 1814
Numark TTX Turntables with line output
Ms pinky Gen 4 with latest software

What should I look to tweak in order to improve the error metric #?
I'm getting a ~3.0+ normally and I can't use absolute mode anymore.

I also run ms pinky on a 1ghz apple power book and get the same error metric readings
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:16 am

It's probably a signal quality problem. Check the condition of your stylus/needle. A dirty or worn-out stylus/needle can cause signal distortion that will destroy the Ms Pinky signal.

Also check the input signal level. You may be overdriving the inputs of your audio device, introducing distortion. So try reducing the input signal gain on your audio converter.

You should also try listening to a normal music record played through the software. If you're using Maxi-Patch, select "audio thru" from the little pop-up control menu in the audio file player region of the main window. This will allow the signal coming from the turntable to pass str8 thru to the output. Listen to a normal music record and see if it sounds "normal"... not too loud, not distorted, etc......
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:11 pm

I had a problem like that pop up out of nowhere, couldn't figure it out, thought everything was set up the same as when I had run successful tests, then I realized there was a reverb effect in the track I was running PP on, and that was messing with the signal, so if you have any effects on the track, take them off.
Pands

Post by Pands » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:56 am

I'm starting to think it's gotta be the DAC Maudio 1814.
It won't let me adjust the input gain at all..

going to sell it and invest in a MOTU.
thanks for the help pinkstah
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:51 am

No input gain adjustments??? That's totally wack. Maybe the input gain adjustments have to be made from a software control panel hidden somewhere? Dunno.

Another thing to check is to be sure that the stereo inputs from your decks remain TRULY STEREO, and not some combination of Left + Right. Depending on how your input signals get routed before they actually reach the Ms Pinky software, you could be feeding some mixed-down left+right kind of signal to Ms Pinky, which would also kill the digital encoding. If there is any kind of stereo balance control on the inputs, be sure they are kept HARD LEFT, and HARD RIGHT.

All in all, I think the MOTU will be a much better choice.
Pands

Post by Pands » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:27 am

On the Maudio Firewire 1814, everything is mixed in the software. There's some knobs on the front, 2 of which only work with the first 2 channels (so for one turntable) and they seem to do nothing. There's another knob that is assignable to any number of software gains, but the input gains don't show any signs of change whether they're at max, or infinite minimum.
On top of all that, the software mixer really lags.
I'm pretty sure everything is configured as best as can be.. i'm using 2 rca mono channels for each turntable on the line output from the TTX1's..