Hot Cue/Hot Start latency?

Topics regarding use of Ms Pinky's Compact Disc Control
ruklaw
Hot Cue/Hot Start latency?

Post by ruklaw » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:06 am

Hi there. I invested in Ms Pinky on friday (largely because of pluggo- can't wait for the new gui- larger/zoomable wave display please!) and have been running into a particular problem with hot starts/hot cues- when I am playing a track and want to drum a particular beat, it will not let me do so more than once every couple of seconds or so.
Is there a setting somewhere to fix this? If not any chance this could be improved? DJDecks happily lets me drum away using VDJ timecode cds so I know it should be possible!
It's the more confusing because although in absolute mode this is actually allowing the playback position to deviate from the timecode position- so posing the question of whether at some point this will correct itself and create an unpleasant jump in the audio.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:56 am

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. Are you setting loops using your CD player? Which Ms Pinky application are you using? Please provide more details of your setup... and exactly what it is you're doing.
ruklaw

Post by ruklaw » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:05 am

Ok. Well, on most digital turntables you have something like 'hot start' buttons. You set these up with a position on the cd, and once set up, by pressing that button the player will instantly leap to that position on the cd and play from that point. Its sort of like an instant needle drop.
Now, say I am playing a track that has a particular beat or sample that i want to play repeatedly- I can set my hot start there and use the cd player sort of like a drum machine- i just tap the hot starts to make my own beat. Sort of like what this guy is doing at the start:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf9mgZFGuzE

Software wise, I am running the latest pluggo runtime, ableton live and pinky pluggo- it works absolutely fine- except that when I am using the hot starts on my CD player they won't always work- if i try to do hot starts in quick succession it will usually ignore the second one and carry on playing as though the hot start wasn't pressed.
In turntable terms, its like there is a limit on how many needle drops it will recognise in a second- so one needle drop every five seconds works absolutely fine, but try to do two or three in one second and it will only react to the first one.

My setup for this is a pentium m laptop with 512mb ram, with an M-Audio Audiophile USB as the interface to one Denon DN-S5000 cd deck and one Denon DN-S3000 cd deck. The Audiophile is then plugged into my Numark DXM09 mixer.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:23 am

Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation. You're absolutely right. There's a simple threshold hard-coded into the software to sort of prevent too many needle drops in too-rapid succession. But that certainly doesn't need to be in there in the CD control case. So I must make some changes in the code, and upload new builds of everything. I'm *almost* ready to come out with a whole new version of Pinky Pluggo anyway-- so I'll try to get this in there too.
ruklaw

Post by ruklaw » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:31 am

Brilliant, can't wait! :D
dj_placenta

Post by dj_placenta » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:44 pm

Is there going to be a similar update for Maxi-Patch?