Setup and upgrade for VST?

For discussion on the topic of Ms Pinky's "Pinky VST" plugin
umfufu
Setup and upgrade for VST?

Post by umfufu » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:11 am

Hey All!
I've got two questions before I buy the new updated software.

1) Is there an upgrade path from older versions of the software? I bought Ms Pinky years ago and just want the new VST and max-for-live stuff.

2) When using the VST plugin, how are people setting up a crossfader? Do most people pipe the audio back out to a DJ mixer, or are some peeps assigning a MIDI controller for a software fader of some sort? If so, which one?

THANKS!!

Ben
djnelson

Post by djnelson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:32 am

1) Not sure, you'll need to contact Ms Pinky Admins with your details.

2) As far as I'm aware, the cross-fader is only in the Maxi-Patch Application, which is midi assignable. I personally pipe the audio through to the DJ mixer. If you have a mixer you want to use in your DAW you're able to assign a midi fader to the channels if you want as well.

Hope that helps.
umfufu

Post by umfufu » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 am

Hey Nelson,
Thanks for that!

1) I'll get in touch with them.

2) As far as the MIDI controller assigned to a fader in the DAW - would a regular volume fader work well? I'd imagine it might not have the right volume curve.

Ben
djnelson

Post by djnelson » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:25 am

Ben,

I personally think the curve will be long enough, it will have a very smooth fade in a DAW. The midi values for any midi fader, control knob or velocity sensitive key sends values from 0 - 127. In the case of a volume control:

Fader down sending a 0 midi value will be 0% volume and fader all the way up sending a 127 midi value will be 100% volume in the DAW.

However you'll have to see for yourself as like with any DJ mixer its up to personal preference what you prefer. Some DJs like when the fade is sharper at the top of the fader rather than a long smooth fade. I think in Maxi-Patch you can set the curve of the cross fader.

I still use my dj mixer as I only have a midi key board and it does not have enough control faders and knobs for me.

I hope that helps.
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:35 pm

if you're not scratching then a midi fader will work for you. but
if you need a little more tightness in your set up i'de recomand using a dj mixer.
umfufu

Post by umfufu » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Cool. Got it.
I'll plan for that, thanks!