New VST plugin for OSX and WinXP: "Pinky VST"

For discussion on the topic of Ms Pinky's "Pinky VST" plugin
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
New VST plugin for OSX and WinXP: "Pinky VST"

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat May 10, 2008 6:19 am

"Pinky VST" is a new VST plugin for OSX (10.4 and higher), and Windows XP.
Unlike our previously released “Pinky Pluggo” plugin, Pinky VST does not
require the installation of the “Pluggo” libraries from Cycling-’74. To install,
simply copy the PinkyVST.dll file into your VST plugins folder.

New features include a resizable window, an improved file browser, and per-instance saving of all parameters including history of files played. What's under the hood is pretty much the same -- Ms Pinky's vinyl/CD-controlled audio file scratching technology conveniently incorporated into any VST-compatible host session running under WinXP or OSX --- but the interface is definitely a cut above what we had before.

This is offered as a free download to all members of Ms Pinky's Fan Club. At this point, it is still definitely in the "beta" stage, so don't throw out your old "Pinky Pluggo" just yet-- but do give this a shot if you're at all interested.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat May 10, 2008 1:55 pm

great!

I go to spread the word...

;)

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Sun May 11, 2008 8:31 am

Love the new interface, especially the folders and file set up, even better than having a MIDI mappable "load" button/parameter.

Much more stable, no crashing, Pinky Pluggo would crash Live if I closed the PP window, and the no pitch flicker, which could also cause crashes since Live couldn't save the set so long as the pitch kept flickering.

Any chance this will have Dual Processor support? I know that was a C74/Pluggo issue in PP 1.6 (and this isn't using Pluggo), but really need it, too many drop outs and CPU spikes with only half the processor running.

Thanks.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun May 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Hey kbooms1w,

Thanks for the post. Sorry to hear about the audio drop-outs. You may just have to increase your audio I/O buffer size settings. I believe I remember you mentioning you're using OSX. But which version?? And what's your soundcard again? Thanks.
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Mon May 12, 2008 7:15 am

Problem solved by the omnipotent dlpinkstah.

New build of PinkyVST has multiprocessor support working with 2 instances of PinkyVST, tons of clips playing and MIDI instruments, no garbled/distorted sound, (as discussed in this thread here, toward the bottom of the thread).

This is why you go with the Pinky, problems solved in hours, not days, weeks, months....

Thanks again.
MBP 15" 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2G ram
OS 10.4.11
Live 6.0.7
PinkyVST 1.7 beta
Pinky Pluggo 1.6, Pluggo Runtime 3.6.1

NI Audio 8 DJ
Novation Remote SL 25

2 Technics 1200 M3D
Ortofon Q-bert cartridges
Rane Empath
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Yee-hawrrrh!!

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon May 12, 2008 7:40 am

OMG- if all problems were so easily solved! :lol:

Simply had to re-declare some "static" buffers as non-static....and voila!
sampleboy

Post by sampleboy » Mon May 12, 2008 12:13 pm

how can i activate the effects?
tong

Post by tong » Mon May 12, 2008 12:56 pm

two cents:
two features i would love to see:
- specifieable location for the generated waveform files
- drag and drop files from the playlist of one pinkyVST to another
storkus

Post by storkus » Mon May 12, 2008 4:36 pm

I'm sorry to be so critical, but I feel the interface is definitely holding the software down, and that this GUI is a step back from Pinky Pluggo, visually. I understand that you're probably not a designer, and are more concerned with the functionality than anything, but you should take into account the fact that a lot of people will dismiss the software simply because it doesn't look 'professional'.

I'm a web application interface designer by trade, and would be more than happy to collaborate with you on creating some graphics for the buttons, tabs, sliders, etc... that would make this comparable to the larger, for-profit, competing software. Would love to help out if I can. Please get back to me.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon May 12, 2008 10:04 pm

Would love to see some images of your proposed improvements. Can you post a mock-up?
casiustonen

Post by casiustonen » Wed May 14, 2008 9:49 pm

Hola pinkers!

estuve probando el VST PINKY.

al principio me costó un poco con las conexiones y me sonaba distorsionado y mal, a golpes, pero luego creo que era porque había cargado sin querer 2 vst pinky en la misma pista de audio de ableton live. al quitar uno, me fue bien.

el control midi via ableton funciona perfecto, la interface es mucho mas bonita y se ve mejor, es mas grande y sirve mejor a sus propósitos, me gusta el detalle del vinilo rosa que se colorea de un color mas oscuro según la duración del tema musical y el puntito que se desplaza también, alrededor y hacia el interior, esta muy bien.

también me gusta que haya varios contadores de tiempo, sobretodo el de tiempo restante para acabar la canción, es muy útil.

sobre lo de cargar las canciones, ya te dije lo del itunes, si fuera posible, sería genial, pero me las apañaré. es que me había acostumbrado. sigh!

lo estuve probando con mi equipo:

-motu ultralite

-2 pioneer 800 (mk1 y otro mk2)

-mixer ecler nuo 5

-akai mpd 24 midi controller

-macbook 2ghz 1gb ram

con cds iba perfecto, es mas, va mucho mejor que el binky toy, reconoce todo el rango de pitch de los pioneer 800 sin fallos ni ruidos. genial, antes no podía pinchar igual con cds que con cd+binky toy, el binky no aceptaba tanto rango de pitch, al ponerlo muy rapido o muy lento tenia saltos en la reproduccion y eso en un club no puede ser, ahora con el ableton+vst pinky+cds, si que puedo pinchar igual como si tuviera los cds.

lo tengo que probar con otros cds pioneer a ver si va bien.

ya lo probaré con vinilos, y te cuento.

el ableton es una plataforma fantástica para lanzar el ms pinky, aprovechala y sacale partido.

muchas gracias otra vez scott, el vst es lo que necesitaba, estaba en una crisis de dj, que me estaba aburriendo un poco de las limitaciones del binky y de la forma de pinchar de siempre...

con el live+vst pinky se me abren nuevas puertas y horizontes para la musica en directo y para mis sesiones como dj.

gracias de nuevo.

casius tonen

spain
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Sat May 17, 2008 5:23 pm

I like the new interface, in fact, I like it better than all of the “pro” software I’ve seen, and I have Traktor, Ableton and Deckadance, all of which can be a bit cluttered, even when I streamline the interface, in my opinion.

If I could put in my 2 cents worth of suggestions/requests:

Would really like to see the waveform “Zoom” feature come back, and if it could be tied to a MIDI parameter (and thus a knob on my Remote), all the better. I play with some short loops and clips that I render out of Live, and they are just too stretched out in the waveform window, since they are often only a few bars long.

Would be great if the data from the MIDI parameters transferred over to my Remote, like it did with PP 1.6, Audio Unit version, which would show “gen4” and “OFF/ON” and the EQ wave names, etc.

Wouldn’t mind the EQ coming back too, was just starting to really get used to them.

Also, “Device ON/OFF” flips back and forth with the press of a button on the Remote, would be great if PLAY/STOP, LOOP, VINYL CONTROL, FILE REVERSE, ABSOLUTE MODE AND RESAMPLE did as well, don't know if that's possible, maybe a different set up than the DEVICE OFF/ON.

Last thing, would be easier to read names of files in the file dropdown, if the DISK/USER/NAME/FOLDER/ETC. wasn’t there, and just the file name showed. Don’t really mind it on the folder dropdown.

Probably more like a quarter, again, just suggestions, not complaints, thanks.

And sorry for the overenthusiastic post re: multi processor support, the substance was serious, the tone was just me being a bit over the top.
MBP 15" 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2G ram
OS 10.4.11
Live 6.0.7
PinkyVST 1.7 beta
Pinky Pluggo 1.6, Pluggo Runtime 3.6.1

NI Audio 8 DJ
Novation Remote SL 25

2 Technics 1200 M3D
Ortofon Q-bert cartridges
Rane Empath
storkus

Post by storkus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:54 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:Would love to see some images of your proposed improvements. Can you post a mock-up?
Sorry for the LONG delay on this, but here is something I threw together for you, just to give you an idea of the type of work I do, and the look that I'd prefer.

Please let me know if you're interested in working together on an interface design. I would love to help. PinkyVST addresses a LOT of the issues that I was having with the pluggo version, and I would like to see it looking as good as it works.

Let me know what you think.

dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:18 pm

Looks like a wet dream :lol:

seriously, I love it. Any ideas for how we could incorporate GUI elements into your scheme to handle loop and cue points?
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:45 pm

Wow, that looks great, storkus.