optimize system for smooth running

For discussion on the topic of Ms Pinky's "Pinky VST" plugin
donnie_brass
optimize system for smooth running

Post by donnie_brass » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:38 pm

hey, i recently had a "eureka!" moment when i realized how i could use my midi controller, ableton live, running some vst plug in filters for high flexibility (bypassing my mixer all together) and most importantly, using my two turntables to controle multiple channels of sound by simply having greater than two instances of pinky vst running..

to clear this up with an example,
once i get a track started, i switch off vinyl controle and let it play, then turn on vinyl controle for a different track, cue it up with the same turntable and get it going, then switch off vinyl controle, start the mix, then switch on vinyl controle for a 3rd track with the same turntable.. etc...

the pinky vst is an incrediply powerful tool in this way!

HOWEVER, i am having problems with minor ocasional pauses, skips, crackles and general annoyances of the sort while the tracks or playing (with or without vinyl engaged) that throw off the mix and ruin my day!
is there any kind of settings i should be looking at tweaking to fix this problem? i cannot understand what would be causeing the crackles, and they are definetly not acceptable in a club enviroment on a huge PA system.
my laptop has a 2.2 ghz intel dual core chip, 2 gigs ram.. m-audio connective sound card, novation remote zero sl controller.. ableton live 7.0, band pass filter VST, and usually 4 instances of pinky vst running. mp3s are all good quality downloads from beatport.

please help!
-serenity now-
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:03 am

First-- what OS and version are you running?

Second: In Ableton Preferences-->Audio-->Latency, try increasing the Buffer Size. Also make sure you've enabled CPU-->Multicore/Multiprocessor.
donnie_brass

Post by donnie_brass » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:34 pm

i never even thought about the latency! okay so ive just tried it out..
i initally had it at the lowest settings (128) when i posted yesterday.
i moved it up one notch (256) and seemed better..
then i moved it up another notch (384) and got the worst crackle iv heard yet.
is there a sweet spot i should be looking for, or generally is the higher the better for sound quality (i realize of course that this increase will make mixing more tedious)..

also, i seem to be having a problem with tempo inconsistencies.. ie if i layer two instances of the same track and remove vinyl controle, i notice them drifting apart over time which they shouldnt do since they enherantly are tempo matched. or perhaps this is a wow/flutter problem with my turntables?

i am using windows XP with service pack 3.. and i have always had multicore processing enabled in ableton.
-serenity now-
Bas

Post by Bas » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:56 pm

(hope it's OK to step in)

Did you get the crackle while adjusting the latency? I always stop playback when adjusting the latency because of the sample shifts you get all kinds of bad noise. After that you should have no problem though (or your problem is not latency-related, which would surprise me after your last post).
honeo

Post by honeo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi,
the drift of your audio could be a reason ot the warp-function in live. Wich warp-mode do you use? Sometimes you have to set the markers by your self but only a few