Is it easy to customise the VST?

For discussion on the topic of Ms Pinky's "Pinky VST" plugin
djnelson
Is it easy to customise the VST?

Post by djnelson » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:48 am

Hi,

I'm not sure of the process for feature requests with Ms Pinky, is posting on this forum enough?

Is it easy enough to customize the Ms Pinky VST my self and is there any documentation on it?

If there is a possibility for a feature request, or you need more details to help me here is what I'm looking for is to be able to change the VST's (of each instance):
- Text colour
- Text size
- Possible arrange the layout to suit my needs better
- Add flashing, text or wave form colour change to indicate that a song is about to end
- Add some mp3 id3 tag info to be displayed

My main use with Ms Pinky is on internet radio and I need to be able to see the:
- Artist and track name
- Remaining time (currently lapsed time is the bigger time value displayed)

System:
Laptop : Dell Latitute D820 (1GB Ram and Core Duo 1.83 GHz)
OS : Windows XP (please don't mock me I can't afford a Mac)
Application : Ms Pinky VST (plugged into Arguru - http://www.aodix.com/)
Soundcard : Torq Connectiv
Cartridge(s) : Ortofon OM Scratch / Ortofon Concorde Pro S
Control Vinyl : Ms Pinky Gen 4 Vinyl

Thanks
Nelson
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:06 pm

It's unfortunately no longer easy to customize the VST unless you're a C++ programmer. The new VST is not based at all on Max/MSP. If you are a C++ programmer and feel passionate about making the changes you've mentioned, let me know and I'd be happy to give you code you can work with.

I unfortunately won't have time to make any of the changes myself because I'm devoted right now to getting Ms Pinky ready for the Max-4-Live release. If you're keen on using Ms Pinky as a plug-in device in Ableton Live, you'll be thrilled to know that the upcoming release of Max-4-Live will enable total customization of Ms Pinky within the Max-4-Live environment.
djnelson

Post by djnelson » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi,

I did some C++ in college and I'm currently working as a junior Java developer. Do you think it should be easy enough for me to make the changes for now or would it be quite a long involved process to learn everything?

Using Ms Pinky as a plug-in device, is that using pinky pluggo? I still haven't tried all the different flavors of Ms Pinky, only Maxi-Patch and the VST.

I'm definitely interested in both options, having a go at programming and using Ms Pinky as a plug-in, if it would work with Arguru.

Thanks
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Good news to hear!

Maybe is time to "expand" and "collaborate", Scott.

I'm amazed with the new time becoming...

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
djnelson

Post by djnelson » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks Mudo :)

Dlpinkstah please get back to me a.s.a.p. as the VST is working really well for me on my system and I'd like to be able to customize if possible.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:41 am

Are you based on OSX or Windoze? And do you actually know C++? If not it could be really problematic for you trying to understand the codebase, and I don't have time right now to offer serious support for that. :cry:
djnelson

Post by djnelson » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:22 am

I'm on Windoze, very low knowledge on the C++ front but willing to make an effort to customize the UI to suit my needs. I'm only interested in making some UI changes at the moment.

Hoping my java back ground will help me figure out what I need to do. And use some online GUI tutorials to figure out how to modify the UI. 8)