A question of KHz

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
Fillyfresh
A question of KHz

Post by Fillyfresh » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:18 pm

Hi, i've been reading everyones posts about the best audio interfaces to use with the Ms. Pinky system and it has raised some questions of my own.

Does the sampling rate of the audio interface have an effect on Ms. Pinky? It strikes me as a better idea to run at 192KHz (rather than 96KHz) therefore giving the computer more data in the stream so it can more accurately map your turntable movements? Is this correct?

Would I definately need a 4 out audio interface to run two decks? I noticed a few people recomending the RME RPM but it only has a stereo out. Are you guys using only 1 deck?

Finally... I have my eye on an Edirol FA66. I realise it has no phono pre amps but has the high sampling rate and enough ins/outs for me to add something later. Thoughts anyone?

So.. This is my first post so if this stuff has been covered i'd appreciate some directions.

Thankyou very much,

FIL

:lol:
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:32 pm

with the permision of the other pinkstah's...

The sample rate determine the latency on your hardware, in my rme (96/8 pad) is it.

Less latency more control

About in/out: you need 2 Mono in for each turntable and 2 mono outs wired to your mixer. Please chek the another forums to see howto, I explained it a few times...

The edirol is the red one? In the web of mixvibes (sorry Ms...) they sell a pack with this one, it's a good card but do you saw the audiotrak maya44 usb? or the new emu 1616 cardbus (this one is very pretty)

That's all folk's...

PD: welcome to the comunity

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: A question of KHz

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:56 pm

Fillyfresh wrote:Does the sampling rate of the audio interface have an effect on Ms. Pinky? It strikes me as a better idea to run at 192KHz (rather than 96KHz) therefore giving the computer more data in the stream so it can more accurately map your turntable movements? Is this correct?

Would I definately need a 4 out audio interface to run two decks? I noticed a few people recomending the RME RPM but it only has a stereo out. Are you guys using only 1 deck?

Finally... I have my eye on an Edirol FA66. I realise it has no phono pre amps but has the high sampling rate and enough ins/outs for me to add something later. Thoughts anyone?

:lol:

I really don't think you'll realize any real advantage in using a sampling rate higher than 44.1 kHz for the Ms Pinky vinyl tracking signal. It actually may be a disadvantage because the higher the sampling rate, the more processing load you'll be putting on your system. So I would pretty much just stick with using 44.1.

Where you will realize a huge advantage is in choosing an audio converter with high sound quality and low latency. The overall pleasure of the Ms Pinky experience depends heavily on the quality of the audio converter. The RME RPM is the best unit I've used. It has the best sound and the lowest latency. The built-in phono preamps make setup a snap. And you should check the specs again on it because it definitely has 4 channels of input _and_ output so you'll have two completely independent virtual decks. It also has an independent mic input, which I've found useful.

I have no hands-on experience with any Edirol converters, but I've definitely heard good things from users about the FA-101. So I'm pretty sure the other Edirols will also be good choices for this application as well.

peace, out-

DLP
Fillyfresh

Post by Fillyfresh » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:21 pm

Aww thanks guys, thats answered everything.

I think the RME RPM is the one for our project. I do production for a AV company called Umami (check us out - www.umami.tv). We are working on a project with a local turntablist called Raj Pannu and are hoping to use Ms. Pinky and Max MSP to control a whole club enviroment.

So thanks again for the invaluable input!

FIL

:D