Audio Converter Advice

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
cyberfunk
Audio Converter Advice

Post by cyberfunk » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:29 pm

Hey,

I recently purchased Ms Pinky bundled with Max/Msp. I've got a couple of the Art DJ preamps and the rest of the usual DJ gear, but I'm a bit unsure as to which audio converter i should go for.

I was looking at the M-Audio FW410 as I would like to have a simple interface to use with Pro Tools.

But having seen some comments about only being able to use one deck with this converter I thought the M-Audio Firewire 18/14 might do the trick:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop ... ct_id/3803

Has anybody used this interface? Any potential problems with it? I was also looking at the RME RPM as it has been highly recommended in the posts I've read. Although, I understand that I would need an additional sound card, which made me think twice - is this correct?

I'll be running it all on Tiger on a G4 powerbook.

Thanks for any help!
wwinfrey

Post by wwinfrey » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:35 pm

In general, I tend to stay away from M-Audio hardware, as I don't really care for the way it sounds and I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason that they're prices are so low is because they're using cheap Chinese labor (prison? slave?) to manufacture their products.

That being said, I've been using MsPinky w/ the ART preamps on my Powerbook w/RME Cardbus/Multiface bundle for almost 2 years now and it runs like a champ.

With the RPM you do indeed have to buy the CardBus or PCI interface, and that definitely makes the whole endeavor a bit pricey. The sound quality of this particular configuration can't be matched.
djope

Post by djope » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:22 pm

I've been using an edirol FA101 and they're great, plug in and go type jobs, they've recently been reduced pretty much everywhere as well, 10 in and 10 out may be overkill but it's high quality stuff
c0rey

Post by c0rey » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:43 am

Seriously, to hell with M-audio. Their stuff is cheaply made, the guy that does drivers for them is overworked and can't really do much for updating. My firewire 410 (on top of being what should have been called the firewire 210) needed to be reinstalled at least once a week until I got rid of it. I love my RME multiface. If you want a cheap 2 turntable solution, check out the new ESI U46 DJ.

C