Application Hang Problem with maxi patch

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
SDM
Application Hang Problem with maxi patch

Post by SDM » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:33 pm

Please help me,

the maxi patch software (AO and AV) is causing a Application Hang problem each time I try to adjust the audio settings.

My System:

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2020 Notebook, Pentium M, 1,7Gh, 512 MB, Win XP Pro, SP 2, ESI U 46 DJ + usual DJ setup.

I have installed the latest drivers of the ESI U 46 DJ, the latest version of MS Pinky and Quicktime. I followed all the instructions carefully.

I also set up my computer completely new (Formatting etc.) but nothing helped.

The problem is, that after starting maxi patch and adjusting the audio settings a "Application Hang" problem occurs. THere is also no possibility for me, to adjust the In- and Outputs correctly. At least in one of the Input channels my choice is limited to either "Off" or "Not Connected".

After the Application hang problem occurs Windows askes me to report the the problem to Microsoft.

THe Problem report contains the following information:

Problemsignature:

szAppName: Maxi-Patch_AO.exe

szAppVer: 4.5.5.50

szModName: hungapp

szModVer: 0.0.0.0

offset: 00000000

C:\DOKUME~1\BAS\LOKALE~1\Temp\WERf07f.dir00\Maxi-Patch_AO.exe.mdmp

C:\DOKUME~1\BAS\LOKALE~1\Temp\WERf07f.dir00\appcompat.txt

Windows tells me, that it's a application hang with ID 1002.

I'have experienced very similar problems with the Audiotrak Maya 44USB interface so I returned it to the store. Since the ESI interface is causing the same trouble, I think my computer is the problem, but I don't know where to search for a solution.

So pleeeease help me otherwise I will have to check out Pinkys competitors.

Thanks
afreek1000

Post by afreek1000 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:03 pm

I've had this problem before,what I did to fix it was delete the files in "Cycling '74" folder. These are usualy found in aplication data folder.

The easyest way to get there is : START menu > RUN > type in "application data" there you should see Cycling '74,...delete it.

Reboot computer, now open MsPinky reset sound card settings. As far as I can tell some old settings are saved in Cycling '74 folder and no matter what you change new sound card settings to, MsPinky reverts back to old "saved settings" that could be no corrupted.

MsPinky will automaticly make a new Cycling '74 folder in place of delete one w/new settings....hope this helps.......You may want to also uninstall/reinstall any sound card drivers, check and delete any invalid registry entries (caution make sure you know what you're doing in the registry before you proceed,-try a Google search on "Ace Utilities" good program for cleaning the registry)
SDM

Application error 1000 now

Post by SDM » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:08 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I followed your instructions, but it didn't fix the problem. Now It's an application error with ID 1000 instead of an application hang (ID 1002) and the Problem report comes with tons of additional information that I can't write down here.

...so different problem(signature) but same effect: maxi patch breaks down after adjusting the audio settings + maxi patch and the ESI control panel show up only one of the inputs.

Are there any particular files in the registry that have to be deleted? I ask because I used the Ace Utilities tool in the "begginners mode" in which it showes and deletes only files that are "safe".

Any idea?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Ouch!!

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:01 am

I'm personally quite distressed to hear about the problems you're having, SDM, and I apologize for all the inconvenience and hardship this is obviously causing.

Without having a concrete answer for you right at the moment, I can only say that of all the machines I tested Ms Pinky on with the U46DJ, the only one that didn't seem to work wonderfully was a FUJITSU :cry: I have no idea right now why both your Fujitsu and the one I used for testing both seemed not at all happy with Ms Pinky, but I'm going to do what I can to figure it out.

For the record: I have gotten really great results with Ms Pinky and the U46DJ on both an HP Pavilion 2.0 GHz zv6000 laptop running XP Home Edition SP2, and on a 3.0 GHz Toshiba something-or-other laptop running XP Professional. Knowing that not all Windoze machines are created equal, I can only suspect that there is something inherently wrong with your machine... otherwise why would Ms Pinky run so well on other brands of computers?

There is never a moment's rest for this slave of Ms Pinky :roll:
SDM

Post by SDM » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:18 pm

Thanks a lot for helping dlpinkstah,

I just tried to run Ms Pinky on my 2nd PC which is an Athlon desktop with 1,8Gh, 256MB.

Unfortunatly I get exactly the same result as on my Fujitsu Notebook...Application hang ID 1002.

I use the same Win XP version on my desktop as on my Notebook. Is it possible, that it has something to do with this particular version of Win xp?

What is also confusing me, is that the ESI U 46 Dj control panel shows up only one of the inputs.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Try the 30-Day Free Trial version of Max/MSP

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:24 am

This could be a bug in the Audio I/O portion of Max/MSP. Please download and install the 30-day Free Trial version of Max/MSP from cycling74.com. You can also download the Ms Pinky Max/MSP patches and external objects for Max/MSP. Try using Max/MSP with the U46DJ and see if you get the same problem. If so, then this is a bug in Max that needs to be referred to the engineers at C-'74.
SDM

max/msp's audio tester tells me everything is alright

Post by SDM » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:18 pm

I tested my ins and outs with C-'74 audio tester and everything seems to be fine! I never worked with max/msp before, but this "audio tester" looks like there is nothing you can do wrong... or??? Damn, I should have bought one of those tiny little I Books instead!!!!!!!!!!

Any other idea?