can I get Ms. Pinky to work w/o a DAC?

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
bioflow
can I get Ms. Pinky to work w/o a DAC?

Post by bioflow » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:41 pm

Hi all,

Can I get Ms. Pinky to work without having to buy a DAC?

I'm thinking of running my turntables thru a spare mixer (instead of buying phono converters), sending the line-level output from that to my Emu 0404 sound card, then running the output from the software back into my main mixer...

Would that work?

TIA!
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:53 pm

Well you actually mean a preamp yes ????

A DAC is a digital to analogue convertor

So i will give you both answers

Yes you can use the spare mixer as a preamp for one deck unless it has auxillarys then you could use an aux as the second individual out and use both decks through the spare mixer, If the mixer has no aux then you will need at least one preamp too, That is the only way you could run both decks via a single mixer.

Yes it is totally impossible to run Pinky without a DAC, The DAC will be used to send the signals from the Pinky enabled app back to a DJ mixer so that you can set levels and EQ and crossfades and so on, You could alternativly use a MIDI controller and tell the software mixer(If the app has one) what to do but you would still need to use a DAC to send the signals to you speakers, Even digital speakers have a built in DAC, All the needed DACs are built into the soundcard though you do not need to get external ones or anything ;)