absolute mode

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
tiago23
absolute mode

Post by tiago23 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:27 pm

Hi

I changed the imput levels and now it is okay but the error in relative mode is -1 and the error in absolute mode is 0,5333, also if i change to sinc with vynil position nothing works. Maybe the problem is from turntable or phono pre amp what I should do?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Do the "Audio Thru" test

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:33 pm

Whenever you are in relative mode, the vinyl position demodulator is automatically turned off. And when it is turned off, it always puts out an error metric value of -1.

But when you are in absolute mode and the Ms Pinky vinyl is playing on your turntable and everything is connected correctly, you should see error metric values much lower than 0.53333. Did you read the number correctly???? Was it really 0.53333 or was it rather 0.053333 :wink:

Sometimes it's easy to confuse the decimal point position, right?

But assuming that your error metric values are in fact in the range 0.533333, that is too high! Here is an easy test for you to figure out what is wrong with your setup. We call it the "Audio Thru" test:

In Maxi-Patch, in the audio file player region select "audio thru" from the popup menu. What can you hear? You should hear the Ms Pinky control signal coming through your system. Now put a normal music record on the turntable and play it. You should hear the music coming through the system and it should sound completely "normal", i.e. not too loud, not too soft, not distorted, with proper equalization, etc. etc... If the music from your normal music record playing through Maxi-Patch sounds in any way distorted or improper, then you have some problem in the physical setup of your system. Check all your connections. Check to make sure your cartridge and stylus are in good condition and CLEAN.

What kind of Cartridge/Stylus are you using?? We recommend high-output turntablist grade cartridge like the Shure M44-7.
tiago23

Post by tiago23 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:02 am

Hi again and thank you by your support definitily I really have a set up problem.

When I put to audio thru I hear a really big noise, when i am in maxi patch with ms p vynyl, is really a terrible noise.

My set up is turntable numark tt 1610 with a numark cartridge grrove tool, and a rme mutiface and a very low budget phono pre amp techlink...

maybe the phono pre amp is the problem, i dont know i am desperate.
scam_artist

Post by scam_artist » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:59 am

Hi tiago23

Did you try what dlpinkstah said using normal everyday vinyl and NOT the mspinky vinyl?

I just tried it then, with a funky record from the UK (Soul of Man - Killa Brew, if anyone knows it) :wink:

I turned on "audio thru" and then I could hear the record playing nice and clear. Maybe you forgot to play a normal record, instead of the ms pinky vinyl?

If you play the ms pinky vinyl, all you will hear is horrible noise ;) Even if you have a really bad phono preamp, you should still be able to hear some semblance of the record you are playing (even if it sounds a bit distorted).

If you were playing a normal record, the only other thing I can suggest trying is making sure you've grounded your turntable. Make sure it is grounded to a device that has a "grounding prong" on it's power plug, so that will probably be your mixer and not the phono preamp

Let us now how you go