ESI U46DJ works...not really as it should....

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
glitterbug
ESI U46DJ works...not really as it should....

Post by glitterbug » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:41 pm

Hey everyone,

i just got the U46DJ, and unfortunately i have some serious issues- i cant use it in absolute mode, just in relative, on channel 3/4.

Sadly ESI did not upload a new driver yet, so input channels 3/4 dont have a gain control, and in absolute mode, i get an error metric of 2,569220 etc. Channel 1/2 works just fine as it should.

I have the same problem with dj decks.

The problem is that i am touring right now, and i have a very crucial performance on friday.

Any ideas???

all the best, glitterbug

(btw: you will get the quicktime thing next weekend, dear pinkstah)
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Lack of gain control on channels 3/4

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:53 pm

Yes, the lack of gain control on input channels 3/4 of the U46DJ is very upsetting to Ms Pinky :evil: How could ESI be so careless??????

Anyway-- the good news is that I'm still able to use inputs 3/4 quite well, even in absolute mode. I just use a lower-output phono cartridge so that it doesn't tend to overdrive as much (like the Stanton 505). The error metrics I'm seeing are typically in the range [0.25 .... 0.4] (25 parts in 100 up to 40 parts in 100), so the position information can still be decoded quite well.

And of course on channels 1/2 they are very much lower once I have reduced the input gain to the minimum allowed setting.

What cartridge are you using? Maybe it's output level is a little too high, or maybe your stylus is just a little dirty? I've also found that sometimes when a needle is quite worn it makes for distorted signals as well. But you know all that much better than I do.. :wink:

Oh- another thing to double-check is those little 3-way switches on the front of the U46DJ -- "Hi-Z/Line/Phono". Maybe the one for channels 3/4 is in the "Hi-Z" position?

Looking forward to seeing some QT movies from you, glitterbug, so we can add you to the Pets & Friends page.
glitterbug

Post by glitterbug » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:10 pm

oh pinkstah! who would have guessed to find you here...

as far as the picup cartridges go: i use the "ortofon concorde dj" pickups, and i never had any problems with them, and changing the needles to a set of super fresh ones did not change the results at all.

And sadly no, the switches are on "phono"... i wish it was that simple.

If look at the level meter of the input signal of 3/4, i more have the feeling that the gain is too low (compared to 1/2), and due to that the program cant read the timecode correctly. I set the gain for input 1/2 on minimum too, 3/4 should more likely be a little louder... i have no turntable in our apartment in Jerusalem where i am right now, so i will check it hopefully tomorrow in a friends house.

It also sucks (sorry for being so rude) that i cant adjust the levels on the front panel. Since they already build in little knobs... would have been quite easy.

Maybe i will experiment a little with a crapy leftover phono preamp that i found in our apartment, i hope that will do the (a) job.

And if worse comes worst, i will perform in relative mode.

Thanks for the quick response, hope you are doing well and bestest from Jerusalem- glitterbug
jriles

so..

Post by jriles » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:14 am

Is the conclusion that the U46DJ does not work very well, because I am looking for a sound card right now and am having trouble deciding.
freddy

u46dj fine

Post by freddy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:41 am

remember to mute the monitor channels, to force audio through the patch (or if you want it to actually work, through DJdecks)