edirol FA-66 / phono-to-mic level?

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
depth
edirol FA-66 / phono-to-mic level?

Post by depth » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:50 pm

i'm looking at getting an edirol FA-66:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FA66/

it has two phono inputs in the back, which gets me halfway there...the sticking point is that the other two (non-digital) inputs are mic/instrument-level. any thoughts on how to change phono-level (from my second deck) to mic-level?

seems ridiculous to go phono-to-line and then attenuate back down to mic...doesn't it?

at any rate, i'm thinking about the FA-66 instead of the U46DJ cause i have other audio interface needs that the FA-66 will handle better than the U46DJ.

thanks yalls, looking forward to ditching FS, NI, and Stanton....
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

No phono inputs

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:44 pm

Two things:

1) I don't think the RCA input jacks on the FA-66 are meant for direct turntable connection. They are line-level inputs according to the info I've read about the unit. They're meant for connecting sources like CD players, Mini-disc, or other line-level signals. So unless your turntable features line-level output, you'll need a phono preamp to drive the RCA inputs on the FA-66.

2) You can use Ms Pinky with high-gain mic preamps, such as the ones featured on the FA-66. The main difference between a mic preamp and a phono preamp is that the phono preamp has an inverse-RIAA equalization stage built-in. RIAA equalization is an industry standard EQ curve that is applied to a signal as it is cut into the surface of the lacquer master, which is processed to become the metal stamper from which vinyl discs are pressed. The RIAA EQ curve basically boosts the highs, and cuts the lows. The inverse of this EQ curve is then applied when the record is played back on a turntable. A phono preamp therefore has two main functions: (a) to boost the level of the signal from the cartridge, and (b) to apply the inverse-RIAA EQ curve (boost lows, cut highs).

The Ms Pinky vinyl tracking algorithms will still work if you dispense with (b) and just boost the signal as in (a). So a mic preamp will work with Ms Pinky. However, if you plan on playing normal music records through the system (in "audio-thru" mode, for example) you will not like the sound you will hear! Without the inverse RIAA EQ curve, a normal vinyl music record will sound very tinny, harsh, and metallic.

Bottom line: Although the FA-66 is a very nice unit (FireWire rocks!), I'm pretty sure you will still need at least one phono preamp in order to connect turntables to it.
depth

nice catch.

Post by depth » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:03 pm

ah. guess when you assume RCA ins are phono, you make an ass out of you and me. sorry, i can't believe i just said that.

at any rate, good to know about the mic preamps. i knew something about the difference b/w mic and phono signals, but this really clears it up for me.

anyway, thanks for the catch, pinkstah, and so quickly! maybe i will just go with the U46DJ after all...my main hesitation is that i'll be using this interface for other audio production needs, and i'm just squeamish about RCA instead of nice, solid 1/4" plugs. but maybe i should just get over it...