Audio problems

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
jimjiminyjimjim
Audio problems

Post by jimjiminyjimjim » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:29 pm

I've just got Ms Pinky - and when it works its fantastic. However, I keep getting a recurring audio glitch.

My setup is this -

Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz

756Mb Ram

Maya 44 USB

2 x phono stereo amps

OS X 10.4.4

I have no problems setting up the Aggregate audio device in the audio setup.

When I load Binky Toy or Maxi Patch sometimes it works absolutely fine. But eventually the sound starts to degrade with a garbled sound over the top. When you take the needle off the record the sound continues. Its the same kind of sound it would make if the needle was on the record but the record was being moved too slow for the software to pick it up properly. It seems that the software thinks there is some kind of input still being played into it. Although if you listen to the thru audio there doesn't seem to be. My needles are clean and there doesn't appear to be any noise coming through.

I have tried the thru audio test suggested and normal records play absolutely fine. No amount of playing with the thresh, cutoff, sharpness settings etc seem to help.

The garbled sound seems to only stop when the track is stopped manually with the stop button. Any suggestions as to how to stop this?

Thanks
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Two questions for you:

1) When you created your aggregate audio device for the Maya 44, did you select "resample" for either the input or output, and which "clock" selection did you make? I'd always recommend clocking off the outputs of whatever device you're using, and don't use the "resample" option.

2) What buffer size are you using in BinkyToy/Maxi-Patch? You may need to use a larger buffer size... just try doubling whatever you currently have and see if the problem goes away. In BinkyToy, this setting is made in the Audio I/O tab. In Maxi-Patch, this would be your "I/O vector size" and "Signal Vector Size" settings.
jimjiminyjimjim

Post by jimjiminyjimjim » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:05 am

Well there seems to be a bit of a development with this problem. Now when I create the aggregate device. The choices show both the 4 outs and the 4 ins as a choice - but when I select both the, aggregate says in has only 4 outs and 0 ins. I've tried restarting the computer and deleting and adding the device several times but it seems to ignore the inputs.

If I use a program such as ableton that uses all the channels of my maya and then create an aggregate device it shows both the 4 inputs and 4 outputs. Then if I load binky toy it doesn't show the inputs. If I bring back the aggregate settings window - the inputs have dissappeared!

It wasn't happening before. The only changes I have made to my system is upgrading to OS X 10.4.4 and adding phono amps to my setup ( I was running it before without - I didn't have any problems creating my aggregate device but I did have problems with the timecode slipping - hence why I bought my pre amps).

So my thoughts - does 10.4.4 cause problems? Is there any chance the pre amps could be causing the inputs to cut out?

Please help!

Also I think I read on the site someone had a new MAYA driver for tiger - where do you get that from?
jimjiminyjimjim

Post by jimjiminyjimjim » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:51 am

Just am update on the problem -

I have sorted out the 4 ins and outs problem in the aggregate device settings. It appears that my maya requires a bit of a kick start every now and then by changing the volume slightly.

Anyway the noise still exists in binky toy and maxi patch. Basically it sounds like a gurgling sound caused by the track position marker moving backwards and forwards ever so slightly. The inputs don't register the anything so there should be no reason for the software to think the vinyl is moving backwards and forwards. The buffer does effect it but it doesn't make it dissapear. It still occurs with even buffers of up to 1024 - a higher buffer just seems to prolong the noise happening. The noise doesn't appear right at the start of using the app. But after a little bit of scratching it starts and then continues even if the vinyl demod is turned off. It just seems to degrad.

The only other clue I could provide is that if I use the pinky pluggo in ableton with my maya as the selected device rather than the aggregate device the problem doesn't occur.

Any suggestions? As it is the my only gripe with ms pinky and I really want to get it working without this noise.

Thanks
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

The Maya 44 USB works just fine with OSX Tiger 10.4.4

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:48 am

For the solution to problems with using the Maya 44 USB under Tiger OSX 10.4.4, please refer to:

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=356

I made the mistake previously of telling you to set clock on the outputs of the Maya in the aggregate device. Instead, clock for the aggregate device should be on the INPUTS of the Maya 44. And be sure that "resample" is NOT SELECTED for either inputs or outputs. Then it should work great!

-DLP