using cheap / onboard sound cards for input only

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
klarky
using cheap / onboard sound cards for input only

Post by klarky » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm

im about to dive into the world of pinky, but wanted some help - basically im planning to use ms p in ableton live 5 via the pluggo, i have a good output card, an echo indigo dj, that i love using, but i now need to add inputs to the laptop.

whats anyones experice using in build mic ins on laptops to accept the pre amped pinky vinyl input?? will it work? also i wondered to add another in if that works to get a cheap usb stick sound card and just use its mic in also??

anyone done something similar?? results good or bad??
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Mac built-in audio is golden for Ms Pinky

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:56 pm

Klarky-

If you're on a Mac, then the built-in audio jack will work great for receiving the pre-amped Ms Pinky signal from your decks. I play that way all the time. Under OSX you can create an aggregate device using the built-in audio and some other 2-channel I/O device... effecitively yielding 4-ins and 4-outs. So believe it or not I use a Griffin iMic + the built-in audio for a really great 1-turntable setup. Unfortunately, the iMic's input is crap. But it's output is just fine and running the preamped turntable signal into the built-in audio gives me single-turntable Ms Pinky control and the 4 effective outputs let me mix between two "virtual decks", alternating vinyl control between the two.

If you're running WinXP, then I can't guarantee you anything about the built-in audio on your machine. You'll just have to try it and see.

-DLP
klarky

Post by klarky » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:47 pm

yes i am on the darkside (xp) - looks like its a suck it and see then!!

might just feed something into the mic in and see how clean the signal is and take it from there
klarky

Post by klarky » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:47 pm

well i just tried asio4all and it aggrigated my echo indigo dj and the onboard card fine, to give me 1 stereo in and 5 stereo outs (as echo has 2 physical out but thats mixed down from the 4 virtuals)

so ive just purchased a cheap usb card similar to that griffin and ill see how it goes, as its only for the pinky control signal im hoping it will be fine and ill leave the echo indigo for full output duties