ms pinky workin.. but error metric!!!

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
mr_pinky
ms pinky workin.. but error metric!!!

Post by mr_pinky » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:17 pm

hey all,

i finally got my ms pinky setup going, i have the U46DJ and everything seemed easy enough to get going. However i have a massive error metric, ranging between 1 to 3. I have read glitterbugs earlier thread about the problems with inputs 3 and 4's lack of gain control.

however the problem is on both channels, . .i have gone through the wiring to check its all correct and made sure my control panel is in order.......

I think the main answer to my problem is my needles.... i have the basic stanton carts on their and they are getting very old and have been through much punishment . . .

would this be the reason for such high error readings???

If so, which would be the better choice for ms pinky. i would probably be looking at the shure m447 with its high output and reasonable price . . . i see many others in the forum use it ...

any thoughts. . . .
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

New needles are in order, but also proper U46DJ settings

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:04 pm

Your worn and dirty needles could definitely drive the error metrics up to an unworkable level. But just as likely is that you've got something still not set just right:

1) What position are those little switches in on the front panel of the U46DJ box? If your turntable does not have line-level output, then you need to make sure these switches are in the "phono" position...

2) Again you should open up the U46DJ control panel app and double check that you have set the gains on input channels 1&2 to their minimum level.

Unfortunately, those Ego Systems buffoons didn't even provide a control panel app for OSX users... so if you're on a Mac, my recommendation is actually get with a friend who has a PC and get them to let you install the U46DJ control panel app on their machine so you can use it to adjust the input gain settings at least on channels 1&2 (better than having no control at all).

3) And please BOMBARD ESI-PRO.COM and Ego Systems support lines with DEMANDS FOR FIXED DRIVERS!! Those nincompoops owe us properly working drivers (at the very least) for all the support we give them. There's just no excuse for them not including gain controls on input channels 3&4. Doh!!
mr_pinky

Post by mr_pinky » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:18 pm

hey pinkstah,

thanks for the reply

yes, the phono switches are set to the right place and the input channel is down ( i have also muted the monitor channels, is this corect).... and i am already on a PC

i am hoping to test it with some different needles, so i will get back to you on that . . .

is there anything else that can cause such an error metric.....?

and..

your damn right right about the ego systems and will be sending them a message

cheers
mr_pinky

Post by mr_pinky » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:49 pm

all fixed . . .

it was all a simple matterof changing the needle. i changed my old basic stanton carts an I tried it with some Shure M447s and the error metric is now averaging about 0.1 0.2.

cheers
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

M44-7's rule!

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:31 pm

Glad to hear it. M44-7's rule!! :lol:
mr_pinky

Post by mr_pinky » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:47 am

just also thought id mention that channel 3&4(no input gain) from the u46dj is not bad. error metric round about 0.45 . . . . .
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

U46DJ Channels 3&4

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:41 pm

Echo that. When I'm using the U46DJ, the error metric on my channels 3&4 is around 0.35 - 0.45. In that range, position information can still be decoded just fine, but it's indicative of noise in the signal introduced by the signal being clipped on input.