Letter to ESI about the problems with the U46DJ

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
mobius
Letter to ESI about the problems with the U46DJ

Post by mobius » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:52 pm

I wrote this letter in hopes of finally getting the driver that ESI published in August of 2005 fininished. As you all probably know there are still no gain control for channel 3/4. How long do we have to wait?

It's been several months since we tested your U46DJ with our software. At first it seemed to work , but after out first gig it became apparent thet there were some crucial elements of the driver , and control panel missing. If you are not familiar with this problem , there are no input gain sliders in the control panel on channels 3/4 like there are for inputs 1/2 . This results in the users inability to adjust the gain on inputs 3/4 ,witch are to hot right out of the box. The input is then horribly distorted , which results in degradation of our control signal ,and ultimately loss of control of our software.

We have contacted ESI technical support many time about this issue , and they have promised to fix it many times , then failed to deliver. It seems there is no accountability , or interest by ESI to resolve this issue. So people who bought the ESI U46DJ are left with an unusable product. I am not sure if you are the right person to direct this email to , but I am think someone other than ESI tech support needs to know that product like this are seriously hurting your reputation. If ESI continues to make products that don't work , and refuse to support them , ESI will suffer from loss of consumer trust.

I will be recommending that ESI products be removed from our list of recommended products to use with MS Pinky until this driver issue is resolved. I am very disappointed that ESI is failing to support a product with so much potential. Please forward this email to whomever it may concern.

Ray Belden

mobius@mspinky.com
mobius

The U46DJ will never have gain cotrol adjustment on 3/4

Post by mobius » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:11 am

After many tech support emails promising me a new control panel with gain control over channels 3/4 . Clause at ESI in has informed me that it is not possible to adjust 3/4 , it never was , and never will be. The U46DJ was designed with a fixed gain on 3/4 , a major over site in my book. So as of now we are still looking for the all in one interface for MS Pinky. I can't wait to see what RANE come out with...
djone37

Re: The U46DJ will never have gain cotrol adjustment on 3/4

Post by djone37 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:24 am

mobius wrote:After many tech support emails promising me a new control panel with gain control over channels 3/4 . Clause at ESI in has informed me that it is not possible to adjust 3/4 , it never was , and never will be. The U46DJ was designed with a fixed gain on 3/4 , a major over site in my book. So as of now we are still looking for the all in one interface for MS Pinky. I can't wait to see what RANE come out with...

Did you see the mixer/soundcard/effects box combo mixer that Rane just released?

We can now crossfade videos!

(ok well we could of done it before with a seperate midi keyboard..)
djshiva

Post by djshiva » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:44 am

grrr...

this was looking like an economically viable solution.

*sigh*
klarky

Post by klarky » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:21 pm

i can understand the problem re in 3/4 but ive had no problems with using the pinky pluggo and u46dj, must just be the carts i use (ortofon dj s) as if your using carts with a high output (like the shure m 447's) then of course a fixed 0db gain isnt the best really.

the lack of gain control must be one of a few points as to how the got it out at such a low cost point.
Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:39 pm

in case anyone comes across this thread again, ESI added the 3/4 gain control in the newer (dodgy) UDJ46's (with serial no's beginning with ESJ060) providing you have the latest drivers.

Unfortunately, it breaks the out-of-the-box usability with Mac's, and ESI have said they have no plans to fix that. So back to square one!
The Bronze Eye

Post by The Bronze Eye » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:23 pm

Waitaminnit - is it possible to load the new drivers with a PC and THEN run the U46DJ on a Mac? (Yes, I bought one of the dodgy units... damn) Because yes, that's a hurdle, but one that seems clearable...