Phono Preamp necessary?

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
timmm
Phono Preamp necessary?

Post by timmm » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:16 pm

Hi,

I'm planning on buying Ms Pinky and right now, I'm trying to manage my budget :D

Is the Maya44USB an ok choice for MS Pinky? Do I need a phono preamp? And if yes, which is the cheapest ok preamp?

I have a Powerbook G4, so the soundcard should work with mac os. As far as I know, the u46dj doesn't.

Would be nice if you could help me.

Tim
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

rock the Griffin iMic!

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:10 am

So for anyone interested in the latest results of my search for the ULTIMATE inexpensive audio converter configuration to use with Ms Pinky -- don't laugh-- here it is: The Griffin iMic + Built-In Audio Jack!!

http://www.griffintechnology.com/produc ... /index.php

That's right. This is only really true, however, if you're fortunate enough to be running OSX Tiger on a machine that has built-in audio input capabilities. So on my PowerBook G4, for instance, I use the Aggregate Device Editor inside the Audio/MIDI Setup Utility to configure a 2-in, 4-out aggregate audio device that takes the (2) inputs from the built-in audio, (2) outputs from the built-in audio, and (2) outputs from the iMic.

Now of course this configuration will only allow you to play (1) single turntable with Ms Pinky, but that's cool because it's really easy to engage/disengage turntable control on any track you're playing... so for most styles of mixing you really only need (1) turntable if you're mixing digital. That's a little counterintuitive for those accustomed to mixing analog vinyl, but it really works just fine with the digital mixing. How? You simply start out with your first track under turntable control. After you get it all pitched and cued up properly.. disenage turntable control. The track will keep playing just as you left it. Find your next track and open it up on the other virtual deck. Engage turntable control on the new track. Now use the same turntable that only a moment ago was controlling your other track to cue up and set the pitch of your next track. When your ready to mix it in, you can do that exactly as you're used to with the crossfader on your DJ mixer because the second track is going into the other line inputs on your mixer. Hope that makes sense.

The bottom line: If you really want the ULTIMATE ghetto setup with Ms Pinky that still works GREAT try the iMic + Built-In Audio as an aggregate device under OSX Tiger. It's so easy to setup!! And one turntable is really sufficient for most mixing, unless of course you're doing some really technical beat juggling or something. Of course, you will still need a phono preamp with this setup.

I can't take credit for this idea, actually. It was m'man DJ Mobius who pointed this out to me. Maybe I can get him to post a gig report from the last time he played out using this setup...

-DLP

P.S. With the Maya 44 USB, you can get away without using phono preamps, but I don't recommend it. It's inputs are really really sensitive and can (theoretically) take a signal directly from your cartridge. But I would still recommend phono preamps.
djone37

Post by djone37 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:39 am

Good post pinksta! I'm thinking of grabbing one to use as a 3rd deck :-)