Maya 44 USB under Tiger: Aggregate, Baby!

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
Maya 44 USB under Tiger: Aggregate, Baby!

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:00 am

To make the Maya 44 USB work well with Ms Pinky on the Mac, you need to be running Tiger OSX 10.4 or higher. Use the "Audio/MIDI Setup" utility to create an aggregate device using the Maya's Ins and Outs.

0) Close all running audio applications.

1) Open Audio/MIDI Setup utility. Select "Open Aggregate Device Editor" under Audio pulldown menu.

2) Hit the "+" sign to create a new aggregate device. Select the Maya 44 USB Ins and Outs. Select "clock" on the Maya 44 USB Inputs. DO NOT SELECT RESAMPLE for either the Inputs OR the Outputs! Hit "Done". Quit Audio/MIDI Setup.

3) Re-start the Ms Pinky application of your choice. Now select as your audio I/O device the Aggregate Device that you just created. It should appear in the list of available devices. BE SURE TO SELECT THE AGGREGATE DEVICE, NOT the default "Maya 44 USB" device that will also appear in the list of available devices.

This works great for me. I'm running BinkyToy in Tiger OSX 10.4.4. Buffer size of 128. Error metrics stay down around 0.05 - 0.15. No gurgling.

NOTE: The Maya 44 Inputs run HOT. Their default level settings are way too high for a line-level signal. So you have to open the Maya 44 Control Panel and put the Input Levels way down near the bottom of their range. It should then work like a charm.

peace, out

DLP
elwood

Griffin iMic Aggregate Setup Works Too!

Post by elwood » Fri May 12, 2006 12:23 am

:!: :!: I'm so glad you mentioned the soundcard aggregation feature in OSX 10.4!

I just tested out my $39 Griffin iMic and it seems to work well on my 1.25 Ghz Aluminum Powerbook. This gave me two stereo inputs and two stereo outputs without buying a $200+ U46DJ USB device. Of course, you will need pre-amps for this to work. I used two mixers I had laying around for pre-amps.

As of this evening, I have only tested this setup with BinkyToy. I have not yet tested this with Max/MSP, MaxiPatch, or Pinky Pluggo, but I will in the next few days... and certainly report back (probably with screenshots). I also have not tested for stability over an extended period of time. I am using OX 10.4.6 with the combo update.

Ms. Pinky kicks ass. Thanks so much!
jurij

Post by jurij » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:32 am

This is working with the intel based macs also ?!