U46DJ Problems on XP

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
Deadly Buda
U46DJ Problems on XP

Post by Deadly Buda » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:43 pm

I am trying to use the U46DJ with Maxi-Patch AV on WinXP. Nothing seems to work very good. A few times it seems like it works, but then -poof- inoperablity.

Most times, the output channels cannot be seen by Ms. Pinky, not ASIO4All, nor Neuromixer. Though Windows seems to play through fine.

Sometimes, I will press "mute" on the U46DJ Control Panel, or "EQ" on Maxi-Patch AV (the new one) and somehow audio returns gloriously, until a crash or maybe the wind blows.

What the heck is goin' on here. Am I just doing something totally stupid that is making this not work, or is the U46DJ a piece of crap along with the driver it rode in on?

I am running Windows XP(SP2) on a Shuttle Box with a 2.4Ghz Pentium 4 with hyperthreading (I think) built in Sound Card using Advanced AC97Audio, Quicktime Pro 6.5.2 GeForce Ti4600
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

ouch!! Damn U46 drivers...

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:29 am

DB-

Sorry to hear of your woes with the U46DJ. It sounds like what you're experiencing is similar to problems I've experienced with the U46. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, these bugs are entirely the fault of shitty drivers provided by our wonderful friends at ESI and there is nothing I can do about it. They've been promising new drivers for months now, and nothing's been delivered. Let's all keep pestering them and maybe they'll actually give us all a break.

I have, however, been pretty successful in working around these problems. I have an HP 2.0 GHz WinXP SP2 machine that I use Maxi-Patch_AO+AV on and it actually works great (even with the U46DJ) though I have to do a couple of weird things (which I shouldn't have to, but anyway...)

1) If I start up Maxi-Patch and find that it can't see the input channels, I just quit the app and restart it. Oddly enough, that often seems to help. Once I restart the app (maybe quitting and restarting a couple of times) eventually the input channels are seen by the app and I can get audio into/out from the program successfully.

2) I have to quit just about everything else that is running on the machine besides Maxi-Patch, or there are conflicts with the U46DJ. And I mean EVERYTHING... I even have to turn off my WLAN adapter and Network Places. I've found that having an active ethernet connection to my network does not interfere... but forget about having an active Wireless connection. Pops, clicks, and glitches will ensue if you do.

Another couple of questions for you:

a) have you tried djDecks with the U46DJ, with the Ms Pinky vinyl plugin?

b) have you tried using the Pinky Pluggo inside a VST host app running on the U46DJ?
Deadly Buda

Post by Deadly Buda » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:08 am

Hi Pinkstah,

Thanks for the insight. It's good to know I just wasn't losing my mind. I called up my local music store and they won't take it back! ARGHHH! Is RME RPM the way to go, or the Multiface 2 with preamps?

I've tried Neuromixer with the U46DJ and it was a bit more predictale than Maxi-Patch, but not much. The weird intermittent screen re-draws are probably the most disturbing thing about the U46DJ. I kinda laughed as I typed that.

Actually this brings up another sorta unrelated question- How do I sync the crossfader (on my audio DJ mixer) to the video?

How is my dream best achieved Ms. Pinky?

My dream is to walk up to any DJ mixer, whip out my laptop, DAC, Video projector and MS. Pinky Vinyl then blow their minds without the audience or promoters having any warning whatsoever what is about to happen to them! Can it be done?